Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 69 z/28 is almost finished however the door rubber seems to be somewhat off. I have my factory windlaces in place. How are the repop windlaces? The door panels are P.U.I. and after trimming and regluing they will work. Has anyone tried the Ted Williams door panels? My kickpanels are O.R.E. and seem thicker than factory. We are having trouble with the proper closing of the doors. We had to trim the window fuzzies with the dremel tool to clear rubber around quarter window. All of these problems add up to my doors closing improperly. My father and I have alot of time in this groundup restoration. I would appreciate some input because I feel that I am not alone in this aftermarket world. I will buy new rubber,etc. if needed,just dont want to throw my money away. So close to wheeling this hugger orange z-car,any comments would be welcomed. Thank you from Virginia. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
5,325 Posts
Door gaskets can be a pain...I used metro super soft and my doors close fine...Hope this helps, good luck...Mike

·
Registered
390 Posts
What kind of problem are you having? I have PUI pannels and soft seal weatherstrips. I had a problem with the drivers door were it would bind on the front of the door were the front of the door pannel hits the kickpannel. I have noticed that most 69's anyway seem to be tighter in this area than on the pass. side. You either have to shim the door out some or I was able to bend the pinch weld area that the back of the kick pannel goes over enough to get the door to fit. I had all my gaps perfect and did not want to start readjusting the door and fender. The rear of the door were the weatherstrip and the windlace touch is really tight and I did have to trim the soft seal door seal some to get it to work.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
O.E.R. latex door rubber solved my problems regarding proper door closure. This rubber is softer and smaller than .... The ..... trunk rubber fits fine. I did not rule out metro,however the latex came through.I have my old windlaces,and I am very glad. A leading restoration shop on the east coast told me that the aftermarket windlaces will not fit properly. I worked out my door panel issue as well. I recommend that anyone in need of door panels check out ted williams products at a show. Take measurements off of old panels and look around before buying. Stay away from aftermarket hose clamps as well,a friend of mine uses Ford clamps. Aftermarket outer mirror brackets will not fit,must grind old ones.The problem is with the angle of the screw hole. I also advise anyone new to this to buy complete bolt and screw kits for in and out. Test fit your emblems before paint cause repro is not the same. Save your old parts,this is imperative. Just want to save some poor soul some trouble and dough,sorry for rambling. Just ready to finish my Z and row through the gears with that competition plus shifter!!!!:hurray:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts