Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tomorrow I am going to look at buying a burnt '69 model camaro and the guy claims it is a real 1969 Z-28 RS 302 DZ car. I know a little about the cowl tag but I want all the pros to give advice on what to look for before I go. Thanks

·
Registered
244 Posts
I was in your boat about 8 months ago. This is what I did....
I bought this book "The Definitive 1969 Camaro Z-28/SS-396 Fact Book".
It told me everything to look for and then some. Sure its easy to see if the cowl tag reads X33 or X77 (which means Z28).
But make sure you look at all of the other parts. Check to see if the motor,trans, and differential are matching #'s.

I could go on and on. But please buy the book and while having the book in your hand, go over the entire car before laying a cent down.
Just my opinion...

Anthony

·
Registered
523 Posts
How did this play out? Were you able to see the car?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wasn't able to see the car today. He wasn't home. The car is in bad shape according to him. He said it was just a parts car. He also said that the cowl tag actually has DZ on it. Have you ever seen this before?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Might be a good time to run!!!

·
Registered
550 Posts
if you want i could meet you to go look at it,and help you verify it better.im in Dickinson Tx. right now until friday or saturday.send me a PM.what was the original color of the car?thanks

·
Registered
38 Posts
"DZ" was not on the cowl tag.

Suggestion: When you see the car, take some pictures with a digital camera. Get the cowl tag, engine stamp (where the "DZ" stamp would be) and the engine casting dates. Post your pictures here and there are plenty of members who can tell you if they are real or not.

When you say "burnt", do you mean the car was in a fire? If so, be very careful. Depending upon the extent of the fire, the integrity of the frame could be compromised.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well I got my hands on the cowl tag today and it reads:

ST69 12437 NOR309035BDY
TR711 72PNT
058 X33

Can anyone help me to decode this? He trashed the car but saved the cowl tag and the hide away headlights. He has the title but did NOT save the vin tag. Is there any place that will legally reproduce a vin tag?

·
Premium Member
10,082 Posts
ST69 12437 NOR309035BDY = body sequence
05B = 2nd week of May
X33 = Z/28 with style trim
711 = std. black interior
72 = Hugger orange
If it has spoilers, they are dealer installed, because lack of D80 next to X33.

·
Premium Member
1,092 Posts
711 Standard Black interior
72 PNT Hugger Orange
The 058 is probally 05 May B 2nd week
X33 regular production option Z28 with stlye trim this includes the (RS)
Hideaway lights.

The vin number would tell more about the car and when it was built and if it matches the build date on cowl tag.

Is there any place that will legally reproduce a vin tag?

I do not think it is a legal thing to do but maybe this is a canidate for the rebody. I am not sure how that works. If you need a car that is totally beyond repair and you switch the title thru the DMV or what. I guess if the seller could prove the car was scrapped and the title could be returned from salvage to you thru the DMV it might work. It is not much of a start but I am sure other cars have been reborn with less.

The cost would out way the final value but heck if you want a cool Z28 it might be worth a try.

8ball

·
Premium Member
10,082 Posts
So how badly was it burned out? Is the drive train there? Could be a steal.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Nothing legal can be done with that title if the car was junked. Story sounds a little funny to me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I knew the kid (Keith)who originally owned the car. At that time I was not aware that it was a DZ car becauase they had pulled the 302 out and put in a 396. Never really had an interest in it then. This was about 15 years ago. The kid (Keith)sold the car to a friend of mine in Dickinson (Gary)who at the time had about 25 67-69 Camaros. Most of them were parts cars. Gary had stored the car in his shop and it caught on fire. The car was burnt to nothing left. This past year I decided I wanted a 69 model so I began looking. Another friend of mine Mark had helped clean the burnt garage up and hauled several of the cars to the man who I discovered still had the burnt 69. Unfortunately he thought the car was useless so he had it hauled off for scrap metal. The only thing he had saved was the RS headlights and the cowl tag and title. This will hurt you to know but the shop that had burnt was approx. 50x75 and had inventoried thousands of 1st gen camaro parts that burnt. I went by to visit and could have broke down and cried for the man. I will post pics just as soon as I can.

·
Super Moderator
32,749 Posts
I'd be leary of the sheet metal. A fire large enough to engulf a building of the size, would have been very hot and possibly removed the temper from the steel.

If you can push your hand into a body panel and it bends easily, walk away.

Pictures would be nice.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I would think the tag would be damaged in some way, at least distorted, if the fire was as bad as it sounds. What kind of condition is the tag in? Does it look like it has been through a fire? Anyway, it is still just a loose tag at this point and should stay that way.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
ST69 12437 NOR309035BDY = body sequence
05B = 2nd week of May
X33 = Z/28 with style trim
711 = std. black interior
72 = Hugger orange
If it has spoilers, they are dealer installed, because lack of D80 next to X33.
Gary, spoilers became part of the Z/28 package in April of 69

·
Premium Member
10,082 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Doesn't always work that way. My one owner 04C X66 car had spoilers from the factory with no D80. I saw it the day it was delivered and had the order for the car as well. My father ordered the car.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts