Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
69 BBC t-56 6 speed from a 99-02 Camaro, Hurst Shifter. I have the factory console shifted to the rear to accept the new shifter location but Im having trouble finding an acceptable boot. Recommendations?

Sorry if this has been already covered but I couldn't find anything using the search.

Thanks is advance.

· Premium Member
'68 396 SS/RS, '02 SS
237 Posts
I'm following this... My son just got the LS swap T56 completed (for the most part) in his '69 RS.

· Registered
4,316 Posts

· Registered
4,316 Posts
The boot I noted would be a shifter/tunnel boot so would need a "nice" interior/console boot of some kind. Either roll your own or have an upholstery shop make one that looks "right" in a Camaro console like Larry did

I would think aftermarket has something (Silver Sport??) as T56 swaps have been done many times. Ideally someone who has done the swap can post their end result pics and what was involved

Swap I did was on another car so does not apply but I have a replacement console insert that I then used a 97-04 Vette interior boot

· Registered
1,179 Posts
I could add:

There was a very specific reason I made my own boot. All the factory-made "rubber" boots I was finding seemed to be elastic enough they would want to forcefully return to their relaxed position and tended to try to pull the shift lever out of gear. Then the eventuality of it was they would tear or split. I tired of that whole mess.

I made the leather boot so I could have a "sack" type boot that no matter where you push it or bunch it up (while shifting gears) it simply sits there until it was moved in a different direction. It has no affinity for any one position or shape.

Being leather it smooshes down under the console plates. From up top of the console it is completely concealed, not visible at all. It looks a bit tall in the PICs, but it has no affinity for that position either. It's really just a slouchy sack.

This one is my second run at a boot. The first one I made (and used for quite a time) was a tad shorter in height and stressed at the corners. This one being taller and then smooshed down under the console has full range of any shifter motion.

side view:
Shifter boot 1 by Larry Madsen, on Flickr

1 - 7 of 7 Posts