Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car has a 383 strokes with an Accell HEI distributor and a Summitt brand (made by MSD) box. On the tach out lead, connecting to my tach wire does nothing. I bought a new tach but don't want to smoke it IF the HEiI is killing it. I know many here run HEI and factory techs, what is your secret?

Thanks, Craig

·
Banned
1,354 Posts
You need to build a tach filter. Search the site for various schematics. I never had any luck. I had to have a modern tach's guts put in my tach. My wasn't an original GM tach, it was OER repop.

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
I connected up my factory tach to a GM HEI back in the mid 80s pre internet ...simple pull the points.. by pass ign ballast wire... have done some serious mileage, on 3rd Dizzy and never had a problem with the tach... the current dizzy is a Chinese GM copy HEI with copy module.. and no issues

But what is being used here is after market stuff with MSD....
As suggested above...run a forum search on the subject.. and while at it read up on the MSD.. you may end up dropping that and spend a little time on regular car maintenance instead.. reason is explained in old posts on the subject.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts