Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned this Camaro for 24 years. This is it's second frame off build. The paint and overall fit and finish will be improved this time around. The quarters, fenders, and header panel were replaced 20 years ago with NOS GM pieces. The rest of the sheetmetal is original to the car, so no metal work this time. The build will be done in 2 phases. Body, paint, suspension, and interior will be done in phase 1. Phase 2 will consist of motor and transmission. It was an original 307 powerglide with factory air and vinyl top when I bought it, but it's had several engine and transmission combos in it over the years. This time it will have a pump gas 383 stroker with AFR aluminum heads and a hydraulic roller cam. The trans will be a TKO 600 sending power back to an original replacement GM 12 bolt with 3:73 gears and Moser axles. Also this time the factory air stuff and vinyl top will be removed. Suspension will consist of a Hotchkis TVS stage 2 system with a 3" drop and their new aluminum shocks. Stopping power will be handled by Baer 4-wheel disk brakes with a DSE master cylinder/booster combo. It will have 18" Rushforth "Fuel" wheels, polished hoops with Smoked Titanium spokes and BF Goodrich KDW2 tires. Interior will mostly stock with a few exceptions. It will have TMI sport seats, aftermarket console gauges and Billet Specialties pedals to work with the Lokar throttle cable. The goal was to blend the right amount of aftermarket parts with right amount of factory parts and have a well balanced Camaro. Not to stock but not to modified either. Since the motor is at the machine shop and could take a while I thought I would post pictures of phase 1 for everybody to enjoy. All body/paint and assembly were handled by Gary Richey and Vic Klingsmith down at Gary's shop in New Albany. Gary is a very talented body and paint technician and Vic did a great job on assembly. They both treated my car like it was their own. I could not ask for anything more, they did a great job. As a plus Gary just happens to love Chevrolet Muscle and shared my vision of what the car should look like.

·
Premium Member
2,761 Posts
Looks awesome. My original frost green paint is all but gone. Doesnt seem like it had much to begin with:eek: IMG_1599.jpg

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
While Gary was attending to the body and paint, my good buddy and fellow Camaro/Chevy enthusiast Dennis picked up my subframe to do some work on it for me. The subframe is original to the car and is in excellent condition with the exception of the jacking point which is dented in like most. Not only is Dennis my good friend but he is one of the most talented people I know. I should also mention that Dennis did all of the disassembly work on the car at the beginning to get it to Gary for body and paint. He had it disassembled in a matter of days. I feel very honored and privileged for him to work on my car. After it was fixed and painted, he partially assembled it for Gary to stick back under the car.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Vince, The paint turned out awesome. It's a color that you don't see very often but I've been seeing some fine examples of it lately. The one Dave Birdwell did for Brian a couple hours north of me looks awesome to.

Brian

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Back under the car with new Energy Suspension bushings and stainless hardware used throughout. I sent the powersteering box off ahead of time to Power Steering Services for a rebuild. While there Chip also converted to 12.7:1 steering.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Couple of pictures of the paint after some buffing. Forgot to mention earlier that it has a NOS GM cowl hood. I bought it 20 years ago when I bought the rest of the sheet metal.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Couple of side shots with the new door handles, mirror, and quarter panel louvers. I tried to use all Trim Parts brand wherever I could. Quality was excellent.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Some rear shots with new Trim Parts tail light lenses and Bowtie emblem. Also pictured is the new rear bumper. The bumpers came from Tri City Plating in Tennessee and are excellent pieces. I picked them up myself on the way back from one of our many trips to Florida we do each year. The new trunk seal is on from Metro. Most of the weatherstripping came from Camaro Central who are great to deal with. Can also see the new stainless bolts on the trunk hinges. All of the stainless hardware used throughout the build came from Totally Stainless another excellent vendor.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I should mention that most of the exterior items, door handles, mirror, quarter panel louvers etc. came from Camaro Central. Shawn and the guys there have been a great help on this project.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Beginning stage of front end going together. Pictured is the ac delete box from AGM Industries, DSE wiper motor and master cylinder combo. The radiator support is NOS GM again bought several years ago.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dog house going on. The bumper brackets are powder coated, the rest is painted. Also pictured are the DSE fender braces.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
All of the powder coating for the car is being done by Findleys Pro Coat, they are a local company.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
New grill in place along with DSE bright headlights. The grill and headlight surrounds came from the guys at Camaro Central and fit great.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Front bumper on with spoiler. The spoiler is from Spoilers By Randy. Since ground clearance would be low in the front I knew his short spoiler would be a lot better than the stock one. It is steel and comes painted black. Looks and fits excellent.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Back to the rear. Trunk splatter painted and cleared. New stainless OEM fuel tank and straps from Camaro Central in place. Can also see the Hotchkis rear sway bar in place. Vic was very busy. All of this is his hand work, including the splatter paint which came out excellent even after stinking up the whole shop. The trunk paint and clear were some smelly stuff.

1 - 20 of 123 Posts