Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I am a new member and sure enough, got questions and stories. I recently managed to buy a 1969 Camaro SS from the original owner (now 74).
I had been trying to buy it for the last 2 years. It was sitting in his garage for 17 years, not started or looked at since. Finally he sold it to me and included the original bill of sale, Protecto plate etc. Car is all original and is a 69 with the SS option, 350/300hp, Deluxe Ivory houndstooth interior, vinyl roof, Hugger orange. Prior to him parking this car, the gas tank was replaced he said. I trailered the car home, removed the plugs and oiled the cylinders. I replaced the cap, coil, wires, points, condenser, etc., drained and blew out all fuel lines, supplied fresh fuel and after 5 hours I turned it over without plugs. I then installed new plugs and the car fired right up and even idled....It has 120k miles on the odometer( actually reads 20 but the owner did state it had rolled over.

I started driving this car and noticed a heavy smell of fuel. Upon inspection, there was a major amount of fuel coming out of the smaller gas line which runs beside the larger which goes to the pump and then the carb. This line must come from the tank but is not hooked up and wasn't when I got the car. It had the original Quadrajet 4bbl which I have replaced with a Holley 650 as the Quadrajet was leaking from the internal carb pump. Again, this smaller line was not hooked up even with the Quadrajet.
Now, if I cap this return line, is this a safe thing to do? I tried it , it stopped the leaking but there seems to be lots of pressure building in the tank. Turning the gas cap slowly releases a lot of pressure. The cap on the car is a locking , vented cap. Must pressure build up in the tank very high before the cap vent opens? I can blow into the inside of the gas cap and it does go through but god knows how much pressure I am exerting... I am worried about this as I value this car and do not wish to see it go up in flames... Any help would be really appreciated

·
Registered
104 Posts
My 69 SS also builds up pressure in the tank, this is normal. I pluged my return line and every thing works fine. Have fun with the great find.

·
Registered
489 Posts
make sure it has the original style vented gas cap and not a cheapo replacement that is not of the vented kind.

Scott

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
Your cap sounds OK. It's vented to let air IN to prevent vacuum collapse. The pressure-whoosh is normal. Enjoy your car! But why did you replace the Qjet?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts