Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search but I could not find any pictures showing the what a disassembled under dash fuse block (with the fuse panel removed) and the engine/front light harness connectors looks like. I did find a picture showing the bulkhead connector but that was about it. If anyone has some pictures of these connections they could share that would be appreciated.

I am looking to install a console gauge package on my car. I do have the Factory Fit conversion harness and the instructions are pretty good but what I do not understand is how extra wires are added and routed to the existing fuse block and or engine/front light harness. My car still in winter storage so figuring how this works in advance would ease my concerns.

One other question. Has anyone installed the low warning fuel light on the dash during one of these conversions? Is it simple matter of just bring the wires to the back of the tell tale lamp housing and inserting a new bulb?

Thanks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
joe..are you going to be using the factory gauges or aftermarket...I am pretty sure the conversion harness will plug into the factory under dash harness you already have...best bet is to call manufacture of harness and get them to walk throngh it with you...I swapped out my factory console gauges for autometers and the guy at m&h told me what colour wire was for which...worked like a charm...

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Joe, thanks for your feedback...

They are OER console gauges I am installing. The car was never equipped with console gauges. I am installing an OER tach in place of the factory gas guage as well.

I guess I could call the conversion harness manufacturer but I thought I would get a jump start by seeing what I am getting myself into and educate my self before I start taking screws out and adding new harnesses. I also may want to sound like I know what I am talking about before I call them (if I really need to) From the all the threads I have read here (most have been very helpful...) it appears that it is not that difficult except for maybe the engine side trying to get to the engine/front light harness connector mounting hardware. If so many people have been through this before I was hoping that someone took some detailed pictures....

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
Getting the engine compartment side off is not hard, 1 screw and pull.... lol, my car has manual brakes, I can even see and touch it!

Check in the electrical basics sticky. There is a link to some 69 color wiring diagrams, one of them has a good drawing of the fuseblock and bulkhead connector, and has the pin #'s illustrated. It will fill in the blanks for you. PM me for the password to open the pdf's.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Getting the engine compartment side off is not hard, 1 screw and pull.... lol, my car has manual brakes, I can even see and touch it!

Check in the electrical basics sticky. There is a link to some 69 color wiring diagrams, one of them has a good drawing of the fuseblock and bulkhead connector, and has the pin #'s illustrated. It will fill in the blanks for you. PM me for the password to open the pdf's.

Hi Jim....I did see that post and the picture of the bulkhead connector as I mentioned in my first post on this topic. So I do have a good idea what that looks like. What I am looking for are actual pictures (not drawings) of the other parts i.e. the harness connectors themselves and the fuse block with the cover removed. I am just not clear on how the wires are to be added to these componets both under the dash or in the engine bay compartment. Maybe I am making this out to be more than it really is but I think the pictures that can show how the wires are fed into these connectors may clear any confusion that I may have. Thanks to anyone who can help.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry to a pain in the a$$ but I though I would jump start this question again before if falls off the message board.

If anyone has any pictures showing what underdash fuse block looks like with the cover removed and the ends of the engine side harness connectors themselves that would be greatly appreciated...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts