Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,583 Posts
Your door hinges are perfect with zero play and don't need to be rebuilt?

Yes now is the time to rebuild them. Look closely at the bronze bushings and make sure none of them are cracked even if they are tight.

·
Premium Member
5,583 Posts
Thanks Al. I ordered one and will install if for sure. How does it mount? I have never seen one before. Does it go in front or behind the grill.
It clips onto the top of the grill plastic. Then when you install the grill , it is reinforcement for the top of the grill and nice trim to the edge of the grill. Make sure you preinstall it to check all the mounting screws/clips and also check if the very middle tip lines up with the header panel. The last one I did was about a 1/4" off center and looked terrible.

·
Premium Member
5,583 Posts
I picked up the Stripe Stencil Kit today at Hotrods & Classics as well as a grill stiffner. I was told to use one, but most guys don't. My grill was a bit funky before, so I hope this fixes that riple problem. It was only 30 bucks and a new grill is over $300.00.
Mike

Car looks great. I dont know who told you most guys dont use the grill stiffener. All 69 camaros had them. The platic is flimsy and when you screw it to the header panels it waves at ya.

Can't wait to see it all together with the strips.

·
Premium Member
5,583 Posts
I don't know about anyone else, but... geez... I'm beginning to feel like I'm witnessing an over-analytical post-game show after the world series or something here. Man! Way too serious... It is what it is...

Mike-- Just my .02$,(okay, maybe .03$) Enjoy the paintjob. Enjoy the car. --Because it looks awesome! :yes:
Congratulations on getting to this point in the resto so quickly AND with a sweet-looking '69 Camaro. The anticipation is killing me to finally see the car in its whole, sitting on the pavement, waiting for you to turn the key and cruise.
:beers: :beers: :beers: :beers: :beers: :beers: :beers:
WOW,,I agree also. Just wait till you chip it the first time. I thought I read earlier it is going to be a daily driver and sit outside.

Just knock down/nib the trash in the paint or pay to have it sanded and buffed. Its all about money.

·
Premium Member
5,583 Posts
Mike ,,the car looks nice.

I suggest you clean the car first and get all the compound out of all the nook and cranies. Once all the parts are on the car it is a pain to get to it.

Buy a 3/4" wide horsehair paint brush ( good quality so it doesnt scratch the paint ) and cut the bristles off at about 3/4" long. Also tape ( black electrical tape ) around the metal part of the brush so it doesnt scaratch the paint.

Then use some wax and grease remover to remove the poishing compound.

This is how I do it but there might be better ways to get it off.

·
Premium Member
5,583 Posts
Picture of fender before grill was mounted.

Here is original grill pic before paint.

Mike ,

You can tell from the initial pictures the grill had issues on the drivers fender. To bad it wasnt looked at before it was painted.

If you had another GM grill just for a comparision would be nice. That way you would know if its the fender or grill. Who took the car apart. This should have been noticed then.

If you want to come to Texas I have 2 GM grills.

·
Premium Member
5,583 Posts
Hey Mike which plastic inserts are you referring to. The ones that go around the head lights. Or the ones that the screws, screw into?
He is talking about the ones that push in the top front of the lower valance. ( plastic square ones )You can also eleminate them and use nuts and bolts to hold the lower part of the grill.
This will push the lower part of the grill in about 3/16" and might help the gap on the top. Also loosen the screws on the top and see if it will push in.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.