Team Camaro Tech banner

2001 - 2020 of 3197 Posts

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Hey Todd I have been creeping "Chicks" thread lately. I like it. I am finding all kinds of great information there. I am in the details part of the build and I am just trying not to screw things up too badly. I am very fortunate to have a member of the Camaro Police who works undercover at the shop and hands out violations like food stamps! Thank god, otherwise I might be building a Frankenstein, or worse!
a member of the Camaro Police who works undercover at the shop and hands out violations like food stamps!

Yellow Card!

·
Premium Member
7,548 Posts
Chick's thread is certainly a worthy read and valuable chunk of resto-info.:yes: AND SOME first-gen eye candy as well! You're doing great on Grandma. Can't wait to see her in the final stages of the makeover. She's lookin' like a swimsuit model now!:cool:

·
Premium Member
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,004
a member of the Camaro Police who works undercover at the shop and hands out violations like food stamps!

Yellow Card!
If I had a dollar, for every time I have heard that! I have more violations than a New Years Eve Hooker in Times Square!

·
Premium Member
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,005 (Edited)
I Got some interior work done by the Rod & Custom Shop today. They sprayed the dash to match the original interior colour. The rear corner trim has a bit of a suede finish compared to the lower dash. Obviously fresh paint appears more glossy. I am hoping all of the finishes settle in nicely for that correct look.

Also decided to paint the inners to match the firewall and under body. The inners were the only part not to be covered in fresh paint. Even though I painted them last year and they were in good shape, they definitely looked out of place next to the fresh subframe and firewall. They also shot the front rad support while they were at it. Definitely a lot of work to do this way, hours of bagging and taping to ensure no leakage or overspray. However it's a lot less work than taking the entire front clip off, since it is already so well lined up. Still trying to do this on a budget, however I sometimes think that concept went out the window a long time ago.

The car is now ready to come back home to the shop. Hopefully I will have some time to finish it off this summer. I have most of the main parts required to start the final assembly, but still need a few hard to find items.

Still looking for an original accelerator rod & arm assembly.

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Ge thanks for the encouragement. Now tell me there is an easy part in the assembly process! Can't wait to get to the point where I bolt in the seat belts! I don't thank that should give me too much trouble! Remind which step that is.
None of the phases are easy however assembly should prove to be the most satisfying part.

·
Premium Member
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,007
None of the phases are easy however assembly should prove to be the most satisfying part.
Thanks Lloyd. I am looking forward to the satisfaction part. I can't wait to say the words. "It's Alive". So looking forward to our first tandem cruise.

·
Premium Member
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,009
Kinda quiet here!
Hey George. I am out of town working. I hope to be back home next week. So hopefully I will have some time to get busy on my car again. it seems like months since I have done anything. When I get home I need to get my car back in the shop and get organized as to how I am going to sequence my build correctly.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
all my plans change daily! I have a few more days to fiddle and clean stuff then I gotta go ballz to the wallz, stripe and get my Camaro outa the school! All this annoying cleaning and detailing, Got my inner fender templates to cut RS holes, then will paint the firewall, inners, rad support directly... Feeling your pain. Really want to be driving this pig soon! Sure you feel the same!!!!

·
Premium Member
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,011
After a 3 week hiatus, I am hoping to make some new progress on the Grandma Conversion Build.

Here is the engine compartment with subframe all painted by The Rod & Custom Shop, Now finally ready to receive all new parts and throbbing V8 power.

Grandma is finally a roller again. Hey Todd who did this song? "She's a Roller, A high roller Baby"?

Here is an upskirt Paparazzi shot!

Also painted the dash while we were at it. Seemed like the right thing to do since it was all apart and all.

Also decided to try painting the speaker grills on the door panels. When I bought the car it came with chrome speakers grills. Not sure how I feel about the paint yet. Obviously I could change the door panles, but I really don't like the standard after market door panels that I have seen to date. Somewhere down the line on the back burner is a possible Black Deluxe interior upgrade. So until I decide I am going to see if this solution makes the speaker grills less offensive.

Here are the speaker grills with the chrome finish.

The biggest part of the job is the bagging of the car for paint.

·
Premium Member
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,014
Chipping away slowly but surely. I am getting the original alternator rebuilt as well as recoring the original CB '69 Z/28 Rad I purchased. Does anyone know What the correct finish on the alternator fan blade should be?

So far the rad has been recored. It will get all soldered up, then primered. I will paint it myself. Anyone have any tips for rad paint.

·
Premium Member
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,016
yes, special radiator paint, not normal paint, has to do with thermal.
Eastwood? I know they have spray bombs. Was looking for a better application, however.

·
Premium Member
7,548 Posts

:beers: Looking great Mike! Keep it up!

·
Premium Member
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,020
Today I test fitted the used original correct crank pulley that was sourced by Kool Hand Luke. I also test fitted an original water pump and power steering pulley. They all lined up perfectly.

The painted pulley on the right is a repop with the correct part number. The one on the left is an original with the correct stampings. Notice the difference in dimensions between the 2 pulleys.

2001 - 2020 of 3197 Posts