Team Camaro Tech banner
521 - 540 of 3198 Posts

·
Registered
68 RS L30 AA 749
8,244 Posts
Cool Mike, lookin forward to seein' Gramma/Copo Z in her new outfit. :) From the looks of it, the shop does nice work, so I bet you're gonna be a happy camper. :hurray:

No worries, jmo, but I don't believe there's any particular Camaro resto etiquette. Certainly the order in which things are done can save time and possibly money... in the long run. For most of us though, those 2 factors (time & $$$), or lack of it, dictate the way things get done.....:wacko: does that make sense ?

Anyway, it's good to see you and this thread back in action. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
7,549 Posts
:popcorn:I can hardly wait to see Grandma's new tone. It will be one sweet ol' lady!:popcorn:

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
Mike, Is grandma still getting new shoes? I love the rallies, but I think those torque thrusts you were eying up might put some "Gitty Up" in the ol girl....:D

·
Premium Member
6,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #524 ·
Mike, Is grandma still getting new shoes? I love the rallies, but I think those torque thrusts you were eying up might put some "Gitty Up" in the ol girl....:D
Hey Pat give me a call. I went out to the shop today to have a look.

·
Premium Member
6,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #525 · (Edited)
Progress Report Post Christmas, Post Mexico. I lost track of how many days it has been now, I lost track after Day 30...

My guess is this build will take every bit of 45 days. My budy told me that it usually costs about $500.00 a day in shop labour, so that would work out to $22,500.00 if I was to pay full shop rate and not have done any of the work myself. Hard to believe, but having been there for most of it I know understand why these cars sell for som much money. I also learned that it would have cost the same amout to restore the Grandma as it would have to do the real thing. The only major differences being this was not a frame of resto and the drive train work on a real Z28 or Big Block would have added another $5,000.00 to $10,000.00. depending on components and how much work is required. So far for the next little while it looks like she will be a 1 of 1, 6 Cylinder Z28. Very rare. The only one of it's kind. Also the only '69 Z28 with the 3 speed on the tree (Todd). This old lady must have known some pretty important people back in the day to pull those kind of strings and get a custom oredered Z28, Grandma style. Yawn! Damn I guess it was just a dream. For a moment there I thought, nevermind...

Well looks like the shop painted the car while I was gone. That was not the plan, so I need to look into that. Either way here is where the car is at right now. I couldn't get any good pictures today as it was stuffed into a corner of the shop. I will take more pictures when I have some room and there is some lighting. The paint looked dark to me in the dark corner of the shop. It still needs to be wet sanded and assembled of course, but this will give you an idea of where it is at currently.

My guy at the shop said that it is Cortez Silver, so either it is the lighting that makes it look dark, or it is corect and should be that dark. I guess it will look different outside in the natural light, or so they say.

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Congrats Mike on getting some color! Bet you are super excited. Also, I know exactly what you mean by with the amount of money spent, you could have the real thing. That's where I'm at with my RS/SS BB clone, however, I know exactly what I have now and am very satisfied with my car. I'm sure you will be too!

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
So far for the next little while it looks like she will be a 1 of 1, 6 Cylinder Z28. Very rare. The only one of it's kind.
That's awesome, car looks great Mike. I think Cortez silver is a very nice colour, it's coming along and only a matter of time before your cruisin again.

·
Premium Member
6,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #529 ·
Congrats Mike on getting some color! Bet you are super excited. Also, I know exactly what you mean by with the amount of money spent, you could have the real thing. That's where I'm at with my RS/SS BB clone, however, I know exactly what I have now and am very satisfied with my car. I'm sure you will be too!
Thanks Jason I am with on that one brother. At least we know what we have, and I don't think there is another way to do it, unless you buy a car from someone you know or trust, and there are a lot of pictures of the build showing what is under the paint.

Need more pics!

·
Premium Member
6,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #530 ·
Looks really good Mike, does look like Cortez Silver to me. Are they still doing the black z28 stripes on ol'e Gramma ?:thumbsup:
Hey Doug. I picked up the Stripe Stencil Kit today at Hotrods & Classics as well as a grill stiffner. I was told to use one, but most guys don't. My grill was a bit funky before, so I hope this fixes that riple problem. It was only 30 bucks and a new grill is over $300.00.

Yup the black stripes are going on with front and rear spoiler and a cowl hood. Looks like I got lucky with the after market parts so far. Quarter fir pretty good and so did the cowl hood. Hood needed only minor works so far. Hood and rear spoiler still need to be painted.

Should be done by the end of January at this rate. I will need to put all the trim on and paint the lower rocker black as part of the Z 21 option package.

The 6 Banger Z28 thing just cracks me up. Think I might badge it that way, just to have some fun.

I need an update on your car. What the latest?

·
Premium Member
6,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #531 ·
That's awesome, car looks great Mike. I think Cortez silver is a very nice colour, it's coming along and only a matter of time before your cruisin again.
Thanks Sonny. Let's make sure all the BC boys get together this summer no matter what. At this rate I will be cruising this summer for sure. Famous last words I am sure. I don't want to jinx it, and if I was to tackle the drive train this winter I am not sure I would have it on the road this summer, and that is just not an option!!!

Todd is going to virtual tour with us.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hey Doug. I picked up the Stripe Stencil Kit today at Hotrods & Classics as well as a grill stiffner. I was told to use one, but most guys don't. My grill was a bit funky before, so I hope this fixes that riple problem. It was only 30 bucks and a new grill is over $300.00.

Yup the black stripes are going on with front and rear spoiler and a cowl hood. Looks like I got lucky with the after market parts so far. Quarter fir pretty good and so did the cowl hood. Hood needed only minor works so far. Hood and rear spoiler still need to be painted.

Should be done by the end of January at this rate. I will need to put all the trim on and paint the lower rocker black as part of the Z 21 option package.

The 6 Banger Z28 thing just cracks me up. Think I might badge it that way, just to have some fun.

I need an update on your car. What the latest?
My cowl hood fit real good too! Working away on my engine bay, sanding scraping, all that good stuff, should be painting the engine bay soon. You should put the Z28 badging on with the '250' engine displacement badging on the front fenders, that would really confuse everyone! 1 of 1 6 cyl z28. LOL

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Let's make sure all the BC boys get together this summer no matter what.
Maybe I'll have my Vert done by then....come up from 'down South' in Tacoma....drag some guys with me from along the I-5 corridor.
We'll see how things go

·
Premium Member
6,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #534 ·
Maybe I'll have my Vert done by then....come up from 'down South' in Tacoma....drag some guys with me from along the I-5 corridor.
We'll see how things go
Hey George that is a great Idea. I am going to start posting soon about a get together. There is a meet on Fathers Day called "Sunday in the park". The guy who is in charge of that event, is the guy who is painting my car. He said we can have an exclusive camaro section if we come in as a group. I will post some pictures of the site. It is a large grassy area. Everytghing we need is right there. It is in Mission I think, so not far from the Sumas border crossing. Let me know if you guys want to tag along. It would be great to get a bunch of guys together from the North West, or as I like to call it, the "Rain Belt"!

·
Premium Member
6,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #535 ·
My cowl hood fit real good too! Working away on my engine bay, sanding scraping, all that good stuff, should be painting the engine bay soon. You should put the Z28 badging on with the '250' engine displacement badging on the front fenders, that would really confuse everyone! 1 of 1 6 cyl z28. LOL
Yup Z28 badges for sure. How about the 250 badges on the cowl hood? I bet I am going to take a lot of heat for that one, but well worth the fun factor. After all if you can't have fun with these cars, what is the point. One thing for sure, there won't be another one like it. Unlikely the trend will catch on! Who ever heard of building your car down?

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
Yup Z28 badges for sure. How about the 250 badges on the cowl hood? I bet I am going to take a lot of heat for that one, but well worth the fun factor. After all if you can't have fun with these cars, what is the point. One thing for sure, there won't be another one like it. Unlikely the trend will catch on! Who ever heard of building your car down?
Please do not put the 250 badges on the cowl hood as they are made much larger/fatter than the 302 emblems and IMO would not look good at all. Hopefully you are just pulling our leg on that one. :) Car looks great so far!!

·
Premium Member
6,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #537 ·
Please do not put the 250 badges on the cowl hood as they are made much larger/fatter than the 302 emblems and IMO would not look good at all. Hopefully you are just pulling our leg on that one. :) Car looks great so far!!
You are correct I was leg pulling with that one. I am bit of a jokester. You may never know when I am serious. However I am quite a purist at heart. The car will once day be a Z 28 to some degree, but for now it will in fact look like a Z 28 on the outside, and be a mean, earth shaking six banger on the inside. You have been warned!

·
Premium Member
7,549 Posts
Wow! Grandma morphed into the Silver Surfer! :D Looks sweet! ...and your gaps/body lines look awesome in color too! Your front gaps are so nice that you now have what they call "fendoors" -- they look like one piece from the rear angle pics... NICE job!

I had a nasty migraine last night when I noticed your pics and posts so I had to just turn in for the night... now, after checking in, I feel like I am late to a big unveiling party. I bet you're excited about it all coming together now...Must be nice... can't wait myself.:noway: Congrats! :hurray:

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
Looks great. White is the most popular color world wide. 80% of the cars in the US are Silver(or a shade of), White, Black and red! I think you have done a great job on Grandma. You can restore them in any order suits your fancy. The cost. . . it seems to always cost more and the resto gets more involved than the first one. My current cost is $22k plus a little and I did all the work my self except the machine work. MOre than the first one I did in 1978. Landed up with a BB RS/SS show car and not the "driver" my imagination started with. Now I am upolstering the trunk with all the stereo goodies, never stops my friend. My wife asked the other day when I plan on starting the next one? I have done 3 in 4 years! I am going to go through my 69 C-10 BB custom truck that I restored in 88. . . .so I can tow my show car! Have a great day.

521 - 540 of 3198 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.