Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

i am a member over at Team Chevelle and recently got a 69 camaro also, i have a few questions regarding the the grill stiffener,

does the wide part of the stiffener mount under bottom top part of the grill and wrap over the top? also would it be painted the same color as outer part of grill in my case z28 hugger orange?

there are 2 bigger holes on each end of stiffener what are these holes for?

and 1 last question, i noticed the top of grill/stiffener mounting holes do not line up with the holes in the header panel only the holes on the fenders line up.Is it possible i have a 67/68 header panel i heard there the same as 69 except the mounting location of grill mounts any truth to this? Can i just mark the holes and redrill them, getting the correct one is not a option at this time because it was just painted with stripes.

thanks
Bill

·
Registered
10,515 Posts
Hi,

i am a member over at Team Chevelle and recently got a 69 camaro also, i have a few questions regarding the the grill stiffener,

does the wide part of the stiffener mount under bottom top part of the grill and wrap over the top? also would it be painted the same color as outer part of grill in my case z28 hugger orange? Yes, the wide part with the screw holes goes on the underside, narrow part topside. Stiffener is painted body color as is the "non eggcrate" part of the grill.

there are 2 bigger holes on each end of stiffener what are these holes for? Not positive, but I believe they are for the headlight washers on the Rally Sport model. Both RS and standard use the same stiffener.

and 1 last question, i noticed the top of grill/stiffener mounting holes do not line up with the holes in the header panel only the holes on the fenders line up.Is it possible i have a 67/68 header panel i heard there the same as 69 except the mounting location of grill mounts any truth to this? Not sure, but sounds reasonableCan i just mark the holes and redrill them, getting the correct one is not a option at this time because it was just painted with stripes. That's what I'd do. Drill the hole bigger than the screw you are using, and use a clip nut on the lip of the header panel. At least that's how the factory did it. Slide a piece of vacuum hose over your drill bit to act as a stop so you don't dent the top of the header panel when your bit breaks through.

thanks
Bill

·
Registered
39 Posts
You are right on your first assumption. The stiffener pushes on to the top part of the grill with the wide part on the bottom and thinner part on top. This way the screws will push up against the metal and not the plastic part of the grill. It should be painted body color, same as outer part of grill. A lot of people paint this whole area black, I like them body colored like original. I didn't use the 2 bigger wholes on mine. Pure speculation here but maybe they're for the headlight washer nozzle on RS versions? Also, all the holes in my stiffener lined right up with the holes on my header panel and fenders. Not sure if you have a 67/68 header panel, i'm not even sure if they're inter-changable or even the same angle as a '69?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Well, if it matches the angle of your grill and stiffener it should work I imagine, then it would probably be a '69 header panel. They gotta be different though, they're sold differently aftermarket and NOS??? I'm sure theres a post on here about it. Good luck!

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
When my wife ran over my freshly painted header panel. (long story, but we're still married) I took it to a swap meet to look for a replacement I remember comparing it to a 67-68 and I was thinking the bracing was different where the hood latch attaches.

Now the story on the crimpled header panel.

When I got my car back from the painter, it took me literally 20 minutes to drop a socket onto it and chip it. I took it right back to the painter so he could redo it while he was doing my NOS silver grille. When I got them back, I told my wife I was going to put the two pieces in the middle of my regular car garage bay, and leave my car outside until I would install them next weekend.

My wife goes to Curves every morning, so first morning, she takes my car from the driveway, and returns it to the driveway. Second day, same thing. Third day, she takes my car from the driveway and returns it to the garage. Yep, up over one end, down the entire length, and down the other end.

How she did not see it, or the grille, next to it, I'll never know. But, to this day, she insists it was my fault for leaving it there. Never mind I told her about i; never mind she remembered to park the car back in the driveway the first two days; never mind, you'd have to be blind not to see them. It's still my fault....she even told the story to a couple of here female friends and they agreed with her!!

Like I said, we are still married, and I don't leave parts on the garage floor any more.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts