Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the 69 on the road after sitting for many years and now we have an odd problem. When driving with the lights on after about 5 minutes both headlights will blink off and on. It is only the headlights, they do it at the same time, doesn't make a difference if brights are on or not and there is no pattern to the blinking. If we turn the lights off and then back on while driving they will stay steady for a minute or so. If we shut the car off then restart and resume driving they stay steady for a couple of minutes.

I have checked all the wires and grounds that I can get to without tearing into anything. We also replaced the circuit breaker on the firewall which didn't help. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
10,515 Posts
First thing that comes to mind after grounds is the headlight switch. It has a built-in circuit breaker that could be going bad, though I've never heard of it happening. Make sure the harness is securely plugged into the switch. Could also be a failing dimmer switch or a bad connection there.. Also make sure the bolt holding the harness bulkhead connector is tight (under master cyl).

·
Registered
6,313 Posts
Time to try a new headlight switch. The h.l.s. has a thermal breaker that can act like that when they get old.

·
14,115 Posts
Time to try a new headlight switch. The h.l.s. has a thermal breaker that can act like that when they get old.
Bingo. Call AAW for an upgraded switch.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The headlight switch was just replaced during the refresh, hopefully it is not bad but I'll try for a closer lok at the wires there. Everything on the bulkhead connector is tight and looks original. So now I'm off to order a new dimmer switch and pray that works. Thanks for the quick input!

·
Registered
170 Posts
I had the same problem with my 68 and had a new headlight switch from NAPA. I replaced it with a Delco and the problem is gone. I found if I pushed the switch up and held it the lights would stay illuminated.

·
14,115 Posts
The headlight switch has a circuit breaker built into it. This was done instead of running the headlights through a fuse so that in the event of an overload on the lighting circuit you would still have the lights working enough to get yourself home.

The circuit breaker was designed to work with the sealed beams that were used at the time. Now that many of us have upgraded to higher output lights the load on the light switch is higher which can cause the flickering effect.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The new headlight switch was a basic one from a local auto parts store. Is it worth ordering a better quality one? I have to place an order with NPD this week anyway. Any suggestions on which one to get? Car was originally an RS and the wiring is basically all original. The RS parts were stripped from the car a long time ago and it was rebuilt as a non-RS.

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
I prefer the heavy duty headlight switch that have a porcelain ring for the dash light dimmer. Especially on an RS with console gauges where extra draw tends to heat up the rheostat. Back in the day these were standard or Bakelite insulated the rest of the switch but now it's plastic so there is no heat protection.

If you are using better quality bulbs you might consider building or buying a relay harness that uses the original switch as a trigger and powers the headlights direct from battery feed. There was a recent post showing how to build your own or hit eBay.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quick update in case it helps others. Tried replacing the dimmer switch and new negative battery cable and ground wires with no luck. Replaced the headlight switch with an AC Delco one from NPD and bingo, problem solved. Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Your other option which you could still do and benefit from is to install a headlamp really kit, it will allow your headlamps to run brighter and transfer the electrical current load of the headlamps from the switch in the dash and the rather long wiring run into the car and back out to the relays instead. Didn't see the post/thread until now or I would have suggested it sooner.

If this is something you still want to consider doing, I have a thread on the kit I purchased and installed earlier this year and did a little review on as well at the following link; http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=234681

·
Registered
966 Posts
I may get the relay kit also. My headlights flicker on high after I put H I's in so I've been only using the lows which is still brighter than the old high beams. I new switch may be a good thing to get also.

·
Premium Member
2,159 Posts
An electrical problem that happens consistently after being on for a length of time is almost always heat related.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the info Scott. Added to the to do list (which seems to get longer the more often I tell myself the car is "done")

Now on to the chase the brake light issue...

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Jennifer, Your welcome, when I installed the kit in my 69 RS I ran the wiring in between the radiator support and the radiator tank. I took the power for the relay harness from the bus bar/horn relay and used the original drivers side headlamp connector to trigger the relays on and off. That leaves the relays over on the drivers side, I just tucked them in under the fender, they don't need to be bolted to anything, they can just lay/hang there and they are fine. Only takes around an hour to install. Good luck - Scott

Thanks for the info Scott. Added to the to do list (which seems to get longer the more often I tell myself the car is "done")

Now on to the chase the brake light issue...

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
The relay kit is what you really need, once that is installed your problem will be taken care of and the headlamp switch will have the majority of the current load taken over by the relays. Just do it, you won't regret it!

I may get the relay kit also. My headlights flicker on high after I put H I's in so I've been only using the lows which is still brighter than the old high beams. I new switch may be a good thing to get also.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts