Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys do to make the knobs move freely? The knobs on mine are very hard to slide. I have the unit out and the only thing that I can see to do is to maybe add some grease.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I found with my car the added friction in the controls was from the cables and what they are connected to on the other end. I just used white lithium grease on the controls themselves. I took the cables themselves and held them up vertical, and run sewing machine oil through them. This made a big differnce. Just make sure there are no kinks in the cables themselves.

The nice thing about the heater controls is that they are very few parts. Just give the housing a good cleaning - I usually use a toothbrush with hand cleaner or something to that effect. When lubricating the parts, use something other than WD-40, something that will stay around for more than a few weeks. White lithium grease worked fine for me, and I also use synthetic grease from the good 'ol grease gun.

Hope this helps.

------------------
Craig Wood
1969 Camaro RS/SS

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The white grease helped. The biggest thing that helped was that the little arms connect to a common pin at a common pivot point. The pin was not in the hole so they were "floating" freely and binding up. The pin looks like it is a press fit and maybe at one time had some sort of cap on the other end to hold the arms on the pin. Anyway....I'll have to figure some way to keep the pin in the hole and find a cable nut or something like that to hold the arms on the pin.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
I put the pal nut back on, as best I could, and then put a dab of epoxy on the whole end to keep the pal nut from working off again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts