Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bummer! The heater core started leaking all over my NEW carpet!
I have a 69 that started life as a small block with A/C. It has a 396 in it now with no A/C, and the A/C suitcase has been cut back and glassed to make a flat mounting surface for the ignition and coil. Makes for a pretty clean engine compartment, but the box is still mounted to the firewall the same as stock.
My question is how big of a pain is this going to be to replace the core?
I have removed the hoses and plugged the pump and manifold so I can at least drive it for the summer. (Hot August Nights is only a couple weeks away!)
I assume I will have to remove both the inner and outer boxes, right? This means removeing the pass side fender from what I've read here.
Has anyone had succes getting to the core without all this?
Also is there a diffence in S/B and B/B heater cores if the car has A/C?

Thanks in advance.

joe

------------------
69 SS396 Resti-Clone
WCA Member
[email protected]
69 Pics http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1506559&a=11674961

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Hmmmm. On my '68 I was able to get the interior box out relatively easily. The suitcase was long gone before I bought the car, but all the bolts for the interior box were accessible from under the dash!

I had to remove the glove box door and liner to see what the hell I was doing...but the inner box and core came out after removing 3 or 4 bolts. You will have to disconnect the heater and A/C control cables but that is no big deal.

Don't know about which heater core you should use, but I would stick with whatever will fit right!

Hope this helps...

------------------
See my '68 RS/ZZ4 at http://www.100megsfree.com/choptop/camaro.html

[This message has been edited by choptop (edited 07-18-2001).]

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
The suitcase does not have to come out, in order to replace the heater core, but you do have to take the nuts (that hold the inside heater box in place) loose from the suitcase. Seems like there are 4; you can tell because they are studs, not bolts. The heater hose clamps are a bear to get to, with the A/C box in the way. Then pull out the heater box on the inside, and replace the heater core. I'd spend a few bucks and get the new one pressure tested at a radiator shop, before going through the hassle of putting everything back in. A cheap 5 bucks, if you get a leaker.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My suitcase has been cut down flat, so the heater hose access was not an issue. Where are the 4 studs? are they all accessable from inside? That would be really great if they are accessable. I thought a couple of the nuts were under the fender by the fan motor. Which is why I though the fender would have to come off.
I will have the new core tested; good idea!

joe

------------------
69 SS396 Resti-Clone
WCA Member
[email protected]
69 Pics http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1506559&a=11674961

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
The studs are attached to the inside heater box, and stick through the firewall, and through the suitcase flange. The suitcase is held in place with a combination of these studs and additional bolts. I don't think any of the studs are over near the blower fan, but can't remember for sure--just checked my assembly manual, looks like there are studs near the blower, but probably accessable without removeing the fender. can't tell for sure without looking at the car...I'm 500 miles away, on vacation. I'll check when I get back.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
Checked mine today. There is one stud at about 1 O'clock to the blower motor. I don't have my fenders on, but it looks like it would be accessable. Another is right next to the heater core inlet (lower)Looks like you'll have to get at it from under the car. The other two are on the engine side of the suitcase.
Be patient, think of tropical places. You can get it off.
Good luck

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1 - 9 of 9 Posts