Team Camaro Tech banner

69 inside door grab handle

2K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  Garfields Maro 
#1 ·
hello all you interior experts.
Not doing well with the black plastic door pull (grab handle) with the chrome pieces on each end and two big screw, one on each end.
I noticed that the chrome pieces have to go on a certain way. Either the top of the chrome piece or the bottom is wider. It isn't obvious to me me which way the chrome pieces go.
I hope you guys can give me some help.

Thanks
RJ

#2 ·
hello all you interior experts.
Not doing well with the black plastic door pull (grab handle) with the chrome pieces on each end and two big screw, one on each end.
I noticed that the chrome pieces have to go on a certain way. Either the top of the chrome piece or the bottom is wider. It isn't obvious to me me which way the chrome pieces go.
I hope you guys can give me some help.

Thanks
RJ
Guess I didn't say that this is 69 Camaro with deluxe interior.
RJ

#3 ·
"I noticed that the chrome pieces have to go on a certain way. Either the top of the chrome piece or the bottom is wider. It isn't obvious to me me which way the chrome pieces go."

Maybe I should have said that either the top or the bottom of the chrome piece is thicker. Not sure what is the correct orientation. Hence they don't fit well. I got one door pretty good, the other, not so good.

Any help appreciated, GREATLY

#6 ·
Thanks much. Ill give that a try. I was thinking it went the other way.
Just got started on the trim piece that goes over the pillar between the side window and the windshield. The aftermarket plastic piece I have is a total crap fit. I get really discouraged when I pay good money to Rick's, NPD, etc, and their parts fit like crap. Are replacement parts like the pillar trim still available from GM Parts, or is that stuff long gone. I would imagine the price might be pretty shocking haha, but for some of the GM parts, the aggravation factor that would be avoided by a GM part (maybe anyway), some of the stuff would/could be worth it.
Opinions/info greatly appreciated, as always.

RJ

#7 · (Edited)
Pillar moldings are NLA from GM. Either find some decent originals or settle for repops. There may be a couple different repro manufactures. Quick search on ebay, I seen OER and Dynacorn. Suggest starting a new thread to get the best feedback...

BTW, don't be overly concerned with the fit next to the side glass as the weatherstrip and channel cover it.

#8 ·
Moving your other door questions to here for a combined thread. The other thread was 6 years old. Please review the date before replying. thx

Trying to mount the plastic cup that the door latch handle goes through. They are a tad warped, but probably usable. There are three screw holes on each one. How long are these screws? I can't imagine that they just attach to the inner door panel. Do the screws go all the way through the door trim panel and into the steel door? that would make them much more secure and maybe help them sit flatter against the door handle.
Help/opinions appreciated
RJ
For them to sit flat against inner door trim panel, it seems they would have to screw through the trim panel into the door. I have two sets of cups and both are warped such that screwing them to JUST the door trim panel would never flatten them out.
Help please

rj

#9 ·
The screws for the cup go through the door panel into the metal of the door. If the cups do not lay flat, try softening them in very hot water. The install while still warm. That should help them conform better. Once they cool down they should retain the shape. Might take a couple heating tries to get them to conform.

Here is a pic of an original door panel to help you on the pull question if you still needed help.

Vehicle Automotive tire Grille Bumper Car

#10 ·
I looked at your pic but it comes up too dark on my laptop. Can't make it out, even with zoom. I do see the oblong hole where your door pull goes. Mine didn't have holes there. Did you cut them that way because of the shape of the chrome pieces at each end of the "handle" chrome pieces?
Also, what screws did you use? Don't think they are the thick long ones that hold the door pull on. Or are they.Thanks for the help,

RJ

#12 · (Edited)
IIRC, the 3 screws for the cup are the same as the 5 (8 total) used at the bottom of the panel. They have a captured washer.......67 68 69 Camaro & Firebird Deluxe Door Panel Mounting Screw Set - 1967, 1968, 1969 Camaro Parts - NOS, Rare, Reproduction Camaro Parts for your Restoration (heartbeatcitycamaro.com)

I'm not sure if the impressions in the panel for the grab handle were factory (OE) molded or it just occurred naturally over the years. Either way, you don't need to cut anything. Just locate the holes (easier said than done;)) and let the bezels make impression.

#15 ·
Mine are original and was thinking the indentations were pre-molded as well, but could've been just the holes were pre-punched and over time the indentations became permanent.

A couple notes on the 68/9 deluxe door panels and grab handles that are potential problems. The large lag screws used on the handle going through some thin sheetmetal isn't a very good design for pulling on. They have a tendency to pull out and/or distort the sheetmetal. I welded large fender washers over the holes to double up the metal for the screws to bite in to. Have heard other folks using rivnuts. The other deficiency I noticed was with repro handles. I was missing one when I got the car and got an OER repop. (n) Found out there wasn't any internal metal reinforcement like originals. The screws go through nothing but rubber. That was several years ago, maybe they've improved or CHQ may offer a better repro, I dunno. I found an original on ebay.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.