Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yahoo!! Thanks to another thread here, I called RestoreGM.com and asked about the availability of the instrument panel carrier assembly since it is listed on their web site. They called the vendor direct and were told that tooling is finally done and that parts will be available in 30 days. We shall see.

For anyone that didn't follow this subject last year, these parts have "been coming" for 2 years now.

Maybe this time it's for real and we will have a choice other than $500.00 for a cherry original or a refurb with silver painted trim.

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
How much$. I have regularly seen used ones for $200-250.

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4.10's

·
Registered
115 Posts
I am in the middle of redoing mine right now and will have to go with the siver paint trim. I am changing colors to black so there goes the trim. I did find that the 3M FinessIt does a great job cleaning the plastic lens over the speedometer and fuel gauge. It took off some overspray and haze and left them looking 100% better and without scratches.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rick - supposed to be $195.00

I bought one recently for $200 that was restored. Looks pretty good, but the silver trim doesn't match the rest of the chrome perfectly. I'm kind of a stickler for details - probably because I've been in Quality Assurance for the last 15 years.
Drives my wife nuts.

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
I understand. I've put a few years in myself. Makes it frustrating sometimes. It will be interesting how the carrier fits/looks.

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4.10's

·
Registered
13 Posts
These carriers, will aftermarket gages fit in them or is this part you are talking about just for restorations? Does anyone sell one that non-OEM gages fit into?

JM69SS, what would you sell you less than perfect one for if you were to get another one?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
TLDG3 - They are supposed to exact replicas of original, so made for original gauges. Not sure if I want to sell it or not, just depends on if and when the repros become available and how nice they are.

I'm determined to put Autometer UltraLites speedo/tach in mine to match the console gauges. Do a search in the archives, this was discussed awhile back. The 3 5/8" gauges will fit with minimal cutting, but with the gauge lens plus the instrument panel lens, I'm not sure how it will look. I detailed one idea I had on how to modify the lens. It worked, but not quite right.
I've played around with it on and off for the last six months, but haven't quite figured out how to make it look good without big bucks. I'm gonna make something work dammit!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts