Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few questions about installing kick-panel speakers in my 69 convertible. First, I'm having a Vintage Air system installed in a couple of weeks. They guy doing the work said he thought the large opening at the front of the kick panel (used for the vents) would not be used for the Vintage system. Is that true? If so, I was wondering whether anybody has used that space for speakers? It's huge and could probably handle a 6x9. Of course I'd want to make sure that's a dry place for the speakers, and that it truly is not needed anymore.

If that's not possible, I have a set of MB Quart RVF 216s that I was planning to use in the doors, but now that I have new door panels I don't want to cut holes. http://www.mbquart.com/en/produkte/car/reference/produkt.php?nr=rvf_216

These are 5.5" round speakers and 2.5" deep. They have a separate tweeter and crossover. Will this fit in the traditional speaker area in the kick panels? Will it clear the emergency brake pedal?

I don't plan on putting any speakers in the rear seats, but someone before me had round speakers in the side panels, and actually cut half of the structural beam to make them fit; about the bottom half is missing (semi circle cut out). Should I replace this beam? It still seems incredibly strong and I have sub-frame connectors, X-brace etc.

To round out my system I plan a 10" sub woofer in a box in the trunk and a big Fosgate amp. It seems from what I've been reading and hearing from stereo guys is that a nice set of components in the kick panels, a sub in the trunk and lots of power should sound pretty nice. I appreciate any help I can get with my long string of questions. Thanks.

·
Registered
601 Posts
the vintage air doesnt use the kick panel vents at all. on left and right sides of dash they drill holes for astro vents and put a vent in center under the controls for the blower. as for the cut beam i would weld in a piece since that is part of body just to be on safe side you wont see it anyway. as for the side vents putting speakers in. i dont know if it stays dry in there. i left mine functional so when i dont have a/c on they still work.how about under dash in center and make a bracket to mount them so dont need to drill holes through top of dash. hope this all helps;)

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
The area behind the vents is not technically dry. They are afterall vents. They are directly connected to the cowl vents behind the hood. If you drive in the rain the area will be moist. Its not wet enough that water would come into the car during rain (although the kick panels are sealed with dum-dum to prevent water leakage into the car) but there would be plenty of moist air back there, and I doubt that paper speaker cones would last very long in that location.

·
Registered
559 Posts
The area behind the vents is not technically dry. They are afterall vents. They are directly connected to the cowl vents behind the hood. If you drive in the rain the area will be moist. Its not wet enough that water would come into the car during rain (although the kick panels are sealed with dum-dum to prevent water leakage into the car) but there would be plenty of moist air back there, and I doubt that paper speaker cones would last very long in that location.
What about right beside the vent, would there be a chance water could get at the speaker? I plan on putting mine beside the vent and my car does see alot of rain.

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
Theres a spot between the vent and the front edge of the door, where the stock front speakers mount, but the cutout in the structure of the car is only about 4" by 6" and will barely fit a stock 4" by 6" speaker, you won't be able to fit a flush mount speaker thatis much bigger than stock there.

·
Registered
7,206 Posts
It has been done do some searching, I have read post before that had pictures. Thinking of putting mine in the same place (vents) and the 4x6 spot also, tweeter in the astro vent balls to hide them. Will have 6x9's in the rear and a sub or two in the back. I just saw a powered sub that mounts with four bolts and sounds awsome. Made by infity I think.

Joe

·
Registered
540 Posts
So it sounds like nobody's ever put speakers in the air vent space. I wonder whether one could make a water-tight enclosure out of plastic and set that in there first.
I put some 6" round speakers in the kick panel area you're talking about. I made a "plate" out of hardboard, then attached a "spacer ring" made of mdf board, covered with resin-soaked flannel, then covered with interior carpet material.

The passenger side was the easiest to install,,, the driver's side needed the e-brake pedal temporarily removed to install the speaker.

here is a picture of the original design I made for the mounting plate..... I had wanted them spaced out and aimed towards the seats. That design didn't work due to clearance issues. I finally went with a "flat" mount ring on the mounting plate (as shown above).

·
Registered
284 Posts
I thought I'd add to the discussion. I installed a set of 5" or 5-1/4" speakers in the kick panel astro vent. I molded a "pod" that fits into the vent in the body of the car and sealed it to keep the moisture out. The astro vent mechanism is completely shaved off of the back of the kick panel. Black mesh is stretched across the back of the opening to make a speaker "grille" and the speaker is housed in the pod. The installation maintains the factory kick panel appearance. There's no issues with moisture getting on the speakers or in the car. The fiberglass pod is not really removeable after installing it. Here's some pixs of what it looks like when installed and some of the installation:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Technically all speakers designed for car use can withstand a certain amount of moisture. Its in the nature of the beast to have speakers mounted where water can get to them. Alot of cars mount speakers in the doors and the door interior gets wet all the time. The moisture barrier keeps the water out of the interior of the car. If your worried about the speakers getting wet then fashion a plastic cover around the speaker to protect it, just leave the back of the speaker open because a speaker of this design needs as much air behind it as possible to play down low and reproduce bass. They are not designed to play in a small enclosed space and this will limit your low end response.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts