Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, someone please help me out. my car never had a/c, I think, there is just a heater box but the guy I bought it from has some parts. What does the two levers on the kick panel open? the bottom or top ones on both sided are broken (I can't remember which right now) and I like to know where I need to rehook them? Seems like I only get hot air from the engine compartment when i open the not broken ones. In arizona I really dont need anymore hot air.

------------------
69 Camaro RS (SS Clone) 350 Daytona Yellow

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
The upper knob on each side operates the cable to the upper air intake from the cowl plenum - there's a valve on each end of the plenum (under the dash, up in the corners); when that valve is open, you get outside air through the adjustable vents at each end of the instrument panel. The lower knobs operate a valve attached to the back of the kickpad which also allows outside air from the cowl plenum to come out at floor level, through the kickpad opening grilles.

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

·
Registered
501 Posts
Technology...I just can't keep up.

Actually, the 69 Astro-vents work great on non-A/C cars, which 3/4's were. Get it fixed...you'll be surprised.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. Where would the hot air be comming from then? Its not that hot in AZ anymore. Is air supposed to be comming in through the dash vents also? Thanks for the help guys.

------------------

·
Registered
501 Posts
I don't know...do you have a cowl hood? Perhaps the opening of the back of the hood is feeding your interior nice warm air from the engine bay.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I just went through this and here are a couple of things to look for. First, the pedals going through the firewall all have "boots" or rubber seals around them. If these are torn or missing, hot air from right off the exhaust manifolds will pour into the passenger compartment. At night, have a friend hold a light in the engine compartment while you crawl up under the dash. If there is an unsealed opening in the firewall, you will see the light coming through. If the air blowing in seems alot warmer than the air outside, this is most likely your problem. The next thing to check is are the flaps in the kick panels working? If they are broken or stuck open, they will let air blow in all the time. Lastly, if the hot air source seems to be on the passenger side of the car, the foam seals in the heater box may have deteriorated allowing the heat from the core to escape into the passenger compartment. Another clue this may be your problem is you won't feel hot air blowing until the car is warmed up. Hope this helps to solve your problem.

·
Registered
361 Posts
My upper drivers side doesn't close. Feels like the cable isn't attached on one end. How hard is this to fix? It's starting to get cold out here in California. Might drop into the 60's during the day.

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
Gee, it was 35 this morning. I briefly thought about putting the top up! Then I decided to enjoy the fact that the heat off the headers will work its way inside.

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4.10's and I don't worry about stone chips.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have an SS hood. I know I have some engine compartment air coming in through the pedal boots and the hole for the rs vacume hoses. I know for sure hot air is comming from the driver's side. I think hot air is comming from the passagers side too, i have to check. Could there be a leak from the firewall into the astrovent tubes going to the kick panel vents. I'll check to see when I take them off to clean them up and paint them.

------------------

1 - 9 of 9 Posts