Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car was totaled in recent storms in Chicago. I am planning on using the funds received to buy my first Camaro. I have been a huge fan of the first gen camaros for a really long time. I want to find myself a 69', possibly a Z. My dad grew up working on cars, and seems pretty sure I wont be able to drive the car because I won't fit. I am also a lover of stick and will need some room to use the clutch. I am 6'4" just under 300 lbs. I have seen the extension rails that gain you about 2", I'm just worried 2" isnt going to be enough. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Please don't take offense but I had a friend who has since passed on who had a similar problem. He absolutely loved first gen Camaros and bought and sold a bunch of them over the years. But he couldn't comfortably drive one. In fact now & then he would ask me to take him for a ride in HIS car. He finally bought a 66 SS396 Impala and for the first time he felt like he had a car that "fit". His everyday driver was a 1 ton Dodge turbo diesel.

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
My neighbor has wanted a 1st gen forever and has admired mine since I've been working on it. He sat in it a few weeks back and was nowhere near comfortable. He's probably 6'3ish and pretty thin.

I've since put in 2" seat extenders and it made it better but realistically he could probably use another inch or two. Also, I've got a fixed steering column. A tilt would be a must for him.

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
I'm average build, 6'3.5", 210lbs.

Stock basic seats and I fit fine. I would not want to drive cross country in it mind you but it's fine for a couple hours.

·
Premium Member
11,169 Posts
I used the seat extenders and have relocated the seat track , further back to the edge of the extender and it gave me another inch room. I am 6.2" .
Just got back from the Powrtour and can say that even with the TMI sport seats, that I had a good ride.

·
Registered
174 Posts
if they can relocate seats and make shaquel oneil fit in his cars someone with any fab skills at all can set the seats where you want them . I don't know how to spell his name sorry :) watched episodes of west coast customs every car he owns gets the seats moved

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
Well the key is not how tall you are but how long your legs are in that equation. :)

·
Gold Lifetime Member
2,183 Posts
I am 6'4" 198 lbs... I have the 2" seat extensions and I am comfortable...

·
Registered
484 Posts
I'm 6' 2" 225 lbs. I put the seat extenders in last year. It helped, but another inch or two would be even better for me. Like mentioned above it's all about how long your legs are and not so much your overall height.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I am 6' 7" and I had to use the seat extenders in my 69 to get my seat far enough back to make it reasonably comfortable. I also installed a tilt column, it makes getting in and out a lot easier.

-Marc

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
I'm 6'4" 250lb and have the 2" seat extenders on my Z. Pretty comfortable with it. I installed 1999 Firebird seats on my other 69 and they are extremely comfortable. Unless you need to stay with stock seats, look for a pair of these.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts