Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the 69 Lsx running and to a couple of shows in the last few weeks, had a lot of people think the stripes are chrome paint, but they are Polished Aluminum. The Aluminum front end, bumpers, and trunk deck lid are from Auto Metal Direct. We fabricated the replica Aluminum Spoiler so the stripes would look factory correct. It is powered by a carbureted LS engine, 4 speed Muncie M21, and Moser 9" Rear End, Paint is Sherwin Williams "Best of Barret Jackson collection - Planet Color" Big Bad Orange, suspension is coil overs up front and an AirRide Tech 4 link rear and its got an 8 track player, starting to get a few beak-in miles on her.

Attachments

·
19,992 Posts
WOW .... hows the glare off that polished aluminum ? :cool:
Very different :hurray:

Looks great :yes:

And welcome to TC :beers:

·
Registered
392 Posts
love it.a very super cool car .how did you do the stripes that's neat? those stripes are bad & i like them & i love the look & stance of car.you did a super job on everything.thanks for sharing pics.duh i answered my own ? front end is aluminum.sometimes im a lot slow at picking up on stuff sorry.i just needed to read a little slower

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually, I have't noticed a glare from the stripes when driving it. The windshield came with a light tint and I wear polaroids. I would assume the guy behind me gets some glare off the spoiler stripes and the bumper but I stay pretty busy watching the road in front of me. The only original parts left on the car are the roof, rocker panels, and door frames. The Aluminum package is about a 40% higher retail cost than steel. The hood, deck lid, header panel, and bumpers are basically bolt on replacements.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I had always wondered if someone could do something like this with stainless steel. had not thought of aluminum. its a great idea that looks amazing. congratulation. so did you polish it cover it then paint the red. or is it painted with clear so you dont have to polish again. maybe you already answere and I did not notice because I was too busy looking the the photos. mark

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Stripes were polished and taped off, then the normal Sherwin Williams primer/ paint/ clear process (The Planet Color Barrett Jackson "25" series is a two stage product, using their Ultra 7000 primer). There is no clear on the stripes, just polished aluminum, but a hand painted pin stripe blends the edges. The paint color looks like Hugger Orange inside but has pearl in it and shines outdoors. The hood, fenders, header panel, valence, trunk Deck Lid and bumpers are aluminum. The underside of the Hood and Trunk Lid are polished also.
Gary

·
Premium Member
2,349 Posts
Very nice! Reminds me of the stripes they had on AirRide's Velocity camaro. How often do you have to polish them? Could you clear them? I can imagine all the people looking and asking if it's chrome! lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the compliments. Actually, we supplied a short term replacement aluminum cowl hood for the Velocity Camaro and they did a "Brushed" finish on the stripes that matched the brushed steel stripes on the Header panel very close. The four link rear Airwave suspension is Ridetech. Once the initial machine polishing is complete, maintenance is pretty much the same as any other polished aluminum piece such as wheels, radiatior support, etc. (hand polishing with Mothers, etc. but very little elbow grease is needed). We tried clear coating a set of bumpers and it didn't come out well, however I do have a set of aluminum bumpers I had chrome plated that look great. And yes, quite a few people think it is chrome paint until they see the underside of the polished hood that is left natural Aluminum.
Gary

·
Registered
183 Posts
Very different man... love it.

I can see those pics are from Nashville show, and I was there and remember looking at your car. Definitely turned some heads with the stripes. I actually found my car there at the show! Bought it from a guy down in Dallas who was up for the show that weekend. Went down to TX two weeks later and bought it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the compliments and congrats on finding your car at the Nashville show. The hood on the Camaro is a 2" Cowl Induction with the underside polished. We are working on polishing a 4" version to allow a bigger K&N Air Filter for better air flow. It is looking pretty impressive, hopefully complete this week. The Car is currently on display on a turntable at Summit Racing in South Atlanta during August, would like to put the 4" on before we pick it up.
Gary

1 - 15 of 15 Posts