Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this link on Pozzies site http://www.pozziracing.com/camaro_steering.htm#Steering_linkage
but still not sure what to purchase.

we have a 69 with manual steer and we are installing a Lee Power box. The factory linkage steering bearings are worn. Since I am replacing the old inner tie rods/pitman arm/idler arm, do I go with manual parts or power parts? I am in question of this because of the following...

--Detroit Speed says to only change the manual pitman arm with a power steering arm. Everything else can stay manual.
--Lee Manufacturing says to replace everything with power steering parts, only since I need to replace the inner tie rods/pitman arm/idler arm. Otherwise if they were good they could be used.
--When asked about the center link, both companies have said there is only one type of center link, but I think Pozzies site shows one for a manual steer and one for a power steer car. Do I need a power center link bar?
--Then I came across this link
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/1967-69-Camaro-Steering-Arms,24953.html
it says "Info, Don't know if you ever thought about this or not, but the steering arms on some cars were a different length depending if they were power or manual steering. The manual cars had a longer arm and if you convert them to power steering you still have slow steering. These forged arms are shorter (faster) than manual steering arms.

Thanks to someone for clearing this up

·
Registered
663 Posts
I'll take a swing at this :)

For the drag link, inner and outer tie rods, there should be no difference between manual and power. There was a "heavy duty" drag link available (based on David's info) but the basic parts should be fine.

There are three different length outer steering arms with manual cars typically using the longer arms to help with steering ratio. BUT that doesn't mean you can't use the arms you have. Best bet is to measure yours and compare to the info on David's page: http://www.pozziracing.com/camaro_steering.htm#Steering arm lengths and part numbers

Power Steering Pitman arm is different than manual box -- you'll definitely need a new one. BUT there are two different lengths -- a "long" one for fast ratio and a "short" one for normal ratio. The arm that's "right" for you will depend on your outer steering arms. If you have the "long" steering arms, you'll want the "long" pitman arm as well. If you have the shorter steering arms, I'd recommend the short/normal pitman arm....

There seems to be only one idler arm available these days, so not really any options there.

Basically, the steering box ratio, pitman arm length, and steering arm length all play together to determine the overall steering ratio. Assuming you have the 12:1 steering box (?) the short pitman and short/power steering arms work well. Alternatively, if you already have the long steering arms, the long pitman arm and long/manual steering arms also work well (it's darn close to the same overall ratio).

I don't think I helped with the confusion....

1 - 2 of 2 Posts