Team Camaro Tech banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Looks very cool - props on the color too! My 69' is with the body man right now, and we are still trying to decide on a color....I want something a little outside of the mainstream, but also something that carries that nostalgic look....I think this gold nails that!

I've also thought about fathom green or something close (original for the car) - the wife is trying to talk me into firemist green.

·
Banned
3,632 Posts
Looks very cool - props on the color too! My 69' is with the body man right now, and we are still trying to decide on a color....I want something a little outside of the mainstream, but also something that carries that nostalgic look....I think this gold nails that!

I've also thought about fathom green or something close (original for the car) - the wife is trying to talk me into firemist green.

How about Forest Green ??

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
I have the same wheels on my 69 Z. We were at the track a few years back and somone was looking at my car. He said it would be a nice looking car if it didn't have those ford wheels on it.

·
Premium Member
10,083 Posts
The look it was meant to have.

·
Premium Member
10,083 Posts
I have the same wheels on my 69 Z. We were at the track a few years back and somone was looking at my car. He said it would be a nice looking car if it didn't have those ford wheels on it.
Hello Mr. Stanley. I think the joke was on him. How about posting a picture of your car and letting us judge.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Very Nice , I Like The Extra Touch Of The Brake Drums Matching The Car .
Well, :noway: the actual brake drum color is courtesy of mother nature, a.k.a. "rust". But the pictures do kind of make it look similar.

And thanks to everyone who posted the accolades :thumbsup:.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Looks good!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
Here's some additional data that I pulled receipts on for fellow Team Camaro member Rick Nelson. Thought I'd share the information for anybody else that may find it useful:

I used rear springs that had an additional 1" of arch:
Eaton Detroit Spring Phone 970-566-4072​
1969 Camaro​
P/N 5629+1: 1" raised leaf spring​
P/N CS782Multi: 67-69 Multi Leaf Inst. Kit​
Also running Monroe P/N MA-711 air shocks. It really doesn't have to have air shocks, but to keep the stance the same when hauling friends around I used them. Another throw back to the 70's..

I made some lower shock extensions that attach to the Competition Engineering Traction Bars. Shock extensions used to be available back in the day, but they were cast aluminum and flimsy. The one's I made are very strong.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Every Car Has A Story.......

A little more about the car: This Camaro has been in Colorado it's entire life. When I purchased it in 2007 it still had the original spiral shocks. When I installed the new rear springs everything just unbolted, no broken bolts. I was amazed. It's pretty arid here and all signs point toward the fella that had it before me taking really good care of it.

The story goes that it was purchased new by the chief mechanic at an AMC dealership, some sort of dealer swap with the local Chevy dealer. Decades roll on, it continued to be a one owner car, and the AMC mechanic took it to have it repainted.. sadly he never got to see it finished, he died while it was at the body shop. They finished the paint job, put it back together and it sat in the AMC mechanics home garage. I believe this was in the mid 80's as it had 14" rally wheels on it.. date coded around that time. A family friend bought it from the widow in 2007, and that's who I got it from.

The only non-stock pieces I noticed that the car had when purchased were finned aluminum valve covers, an open air cleaner and headers. The olympic gold paint has more metallic than stock and the grille surround is painted flat black. I added the new wheels and tires, slapper bars, new rear springs, shocks all around, the front spoiler, ceramic coated Doug Thorley tri-y headers and some purple horny header mufflers. Also installed a NOS Realistic am/fm converter and a column mounted tach. Drivetrain is numbers matching... and has the standard issue 3 speed Muncie trans.

The wife and I love the car. Driving it is like being in a time capsule. And it sounds quite wicked with the headers and purple hornie mufflers, but is really just the factory oem bone stock 350.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
We did a 150 mile road trip today, relocating our old school '69 SS from our old home to our new home in Central Colorado.

We thought about trailering the car, but in the end decided to drive it.

We had a little over 3000 feet in elevation gain combined with the 150 miles. In the end we have to admit that these cars are spectacular. The 3-1/2 hour trip provided us with great ride quality, stellar performance and an overall feeling that these may have been the best cars that General Motors ever made.

An awesome time, motoring through the Rocky Mountains in our vintage old school Camaro.

Life is good.

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Hi John
I too like the "old School" look too.

I took my car for a ride down the Street to my Sisters house ( She lives 5 houses from me ) for Memorial Day picnic a few weeks ago,
Got it up to 20 KPH ! :hurray:

Glass is in, Working Front Wiring and Hanging Fenders.

My Car's original color was Olympic Gold.
Timmy

Attachments

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 · (Edited)
2021... new shoes for the old warhorse

Time for new tires. We're so sick of the "brown wall" BFG letters and they were too old to be safe (circa 2007).

We ended up going with some Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/T's. Similar sizes to what we used on the BFG's, but these are bit wider, and the rears an inch smaller in diameter... but more clutch friendly.

Front tires: P235/60/R15
Rear tires: P275/60/R15

Same wheels: A/R Torque Thrust 15 x 7's

Take a look and tell me what you think.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts