Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, the parking light on the passengers side of my car will not light up when I turn my lights on, but the blinker still works. The drivers side and all the rest of the lights are working perfectly.

I've already checked to make sure the bulb is good, and the grounds don't seem to be the problem either.

I don't have much experience with this so If someone could throw out some ideas or school me on what to do here I would really appreciate it.:beers:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok so the connector plug looks fine, but I'm not getting any power when I checked it with my test light. What now?

·
Registered
10,515 Posts
You are doing the test with the lights turned on, right? :)

When you use the test light - alligator clip to a good clean ground, and probe the socket contacts with the pointed tip. I always "test" my test light across the batt before I use it.

Undo the plug mentioned earlier and test the contacts on the harness side of the plug and see what you get. With light switch "on" and key "off" only one of the contacts should be live.(park light) With lights and key both on, and right t/s activated, both should be live.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok I did what you said, and it is getting full power through both leads at the wiring harness when lights are on and turn signal on. And only one wire gets power when only the lights are on.

So the problem must be with the parking lamp itself then right? Or am I wrong?

·
Registered
10,515 Posts
Progress!! You've narrowed it down to the brown wire in the socket housing/pigtail. The harness is good.

I would clean the contacs on both sides of the connector plug, and clean the 2 nubbon contacts and the inside wall of the bulb socket.(sandpaper, wire brush, etc.) It's possible but unlikely that the brown wire is broken between the lamp housing and the plug. It's easy enough to remove the lamp housing and the pigtail to inspect it carefully.

PS The plug connector isn't the greatest design in the world - sometimes just fiddling/jiggling around with them a bit will cure the problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts