Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to convert my 69 Z/28 from manual to power steering. Anyone have information or pointers on where to go for kits or instructions?

Thanks, John

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Any sb 69 Camaro w/ps will have most of what you need.'67-'68 used a different pump & brackets; steering gear is constant-ratio not variable as '69. Same goes for Nova; other X-bodies shared the gear but probably not the pump & brackets. One possible snag is fast-ratio steering. Whatever gear you use will need a 5.75" c-c pitman arm. It's fairly common and still serviced; you may find a gear that has it. Send the gear out for a rebuild or buy one direct from a rebuilder. You will need a ps rag joint, still serviced but pricey. Z/28s used a deep-groove pump pulley, I'm sure it is reproduced. If your car has the OE crank pulley it has 2 grooves, one for the ps belt.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Once I have all the pieces any advice on finding reasonable instructions for installing them?

Thanks, John

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
I converted my Z to power last year with all original parts; no big deal - just make sure you get ALL the parts (including the spacer between the front of the pump and the inside of the bracket),use the graphics in the A.I.M. to guide you, bleed it per the procedure in the Service Manual, and any alignment shop can re-center your steering wheel by re-setting your tierod sleeves. The only special tools you'll need are a pitman arm puller and either an impact or a breaker bar to get the pitman nut loose.

------------------
JohnZ
CRG
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm in the process of changing mine to power steering right now. Already got the steering gear and the pitman arm. You can get both from O'Reilly auto parts. You have to order them but the gear has a lifetime warranty for about $200. The pitman arm is about $60.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I just completed converting my '69 Z28 over to power steering and it was well worth the couple of problems I ran into. Other than the front disk brakes I believe the tilt wheel and the power steering are my favorite options on my car. Good luck with your power steering, you'll love the difference. Donnie

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just completed converting my '69 Z28 over to power steering and it was well worth the couple of problems I ran into. Other than the front disk brakes I believe the tilt wheel and the power steering are my favorite options on my car. Good luck with your power steering, you'll love the difference. Donnie
Did anyone use after market stuff or just original? What kind of after market manual to power steering conversions are reliable?

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts