Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading here that the Deluxe 69 pull handle (above glove box) could be painted with Kryon Fusion (Satin) I gave it a try. I had a can sitting around after painting my kick pannels. Well the results suck. After 2 whole days of drying, the handle is very sticky and gooy. I am afraid to strip off the paint with thinner and risk stripping the texture off in the the process. This is orginal equipment.

Any suggestions on what to do?

Nick

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
What was the temp and humidity when you sprayed?
Did you de-grease and dry thoughly before spraying.
Have you held the part in a dry/warm area to "dry"?

Try sticking it outside in the sun on a warm day and it should 'dry' correctly.
The 'paint' is actually a chemical compound and the 'monomers' will not cross-link (dry) fully until exposed to warm temps and/or UV/sunlight for a given time ...

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What was the temp and humidity when you sprayed?
Did you de-grease and dry thoughly before spraying.
Have you held the part in a dry/warm area to "dry"?

Try sticking it outside in the sun on a warm day and it should 'dry' correctly.
The 'paint' is actually a chemical compound and the 'monomers' will not cross-link (dry) fully until exposed to warm temps and/or UV/sunlight for a given time ...
It was hot and humid when I sprayed. I hung it in the garage one night and under a tree overnight. The stickiness did not change much. If fact, it collected stuff blowing around in the night (seeds, ect..).

I am thinking Fusion is only good for hard plastic not soft plastic. It is good to know this since I was planning on painting my dash pad with it. The pad is original and in is good shape, only green in color.

Nick

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
The humidity will definately effect the 'cure' of krylon.
I would clean it well and respray on a lower humidity day or indoors (conditioned enviroment) area and then hang in sun.
Can't imagine that 'under a tree' is a good place to get a decent cure ;)

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
Anything soft I'd try dye instead.

·
Registered
8,181 Posts
It should be dry in two days if it's hot, humid, cold, etc. If the handle is gassing out, the residue may be the issue. Or if someone used Armorall or similar protectant on it. You have to clean it thoroughly. Althougth I primarily gun spray, I've shot Fusion on a number of items, soft and hard, even metal parts without issues. Lacquer thinner won't hurt the handle, I just wiped a spare one with it. Most painting problems are due to poor prep.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep. Should have prepped it better than soap & water. I will strip it off and try dye this time.:eek:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts