Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gents,

I have a '67 with a 10-bolt, locker (not sure what type) and 4.11 gears. I purchased it like that but would like to change it to a posi and 3.73. I found a rear end from a '69. It's a 10-bolt with 3.73s, it's got a posi, and he's selling it for $600.

My question is will a '69 rear fit into a '67? Also, is that a fair price?

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
Yes and No. A 67 does not have staggered shocks and a 69 does. 67's are only mono spring and the 69 may have either mono spring perches or multi-leaf spring perches welded on the axle tubes. I believe DSE has shock plates to install the shocks. It would probably easier and cheaper to add new gears and a posi to your axle and sell the locker or keep the locker if it is an actual posi..

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes and No. A 67 does not have staggered shocks and a 69 does. 67's are only mono spring and the 69 may have either mono spring perches or multi-leaf spring perches welded on the axle tubes. I believe DSE has shock plates to install the shocks. It would probably easier and cheaper to add new gears and a posi to your axle and sell the locker or keep the locker if it is an actual posi..
Oh ok , great to know. How much am I looking at if I just get the locker and new gears?

·
20,994 Posts
going from 4.11's to 3.73's isn't much of a change for the $$$....only about 500rpm at 60mph.

New locker and gears, installed.....about $800-$1000 +/-

NOW, they do make a 3.73 that fits a 4 series carrier, so that would only be about $500 installed.

So, unless your locker is broke....I'd keep it Vs. buying someone else's "good" rear.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
going from 4.11's to 3.73's isn't much of a change for the $$$....only about 500rpm at 60mph.

New locker and gears, installed.....about $800-$1000 +/-

NOW, they do make a 3.73 that fits a 4 series carrier, so that would only be about $500 installed.

So, unless your locker is broke....I'd keep it Vs. buying someone else's "good" rear.
Here's the issue behind the 4.11 to 3.73. The first two gears are pretty useless. I shift 1-3-5 because I run out of gear so quickly. This car will likely never see a drag strip so I want gearing that is comfy for the street. Should I go down to 3.52? What's the RPM drop on that?

·
Registered
6,094 Posts
Ok, I'm missing something here. What is different about a '67 mono leaf rear end and a '69 mono leaf rear end? To me they are exactly the same. Why wouldn't they interchange? The lower plates bolt on the same, so why wouldn't the '67 plates bolt on the '69 rear end? The way I see it the '69 rear end is a direct bolt in.

·
Registered
347 Posts
All 67 Camaro's have mono-leaf springs. If the 69 rear is a mono spring rear it will bolt in. Many 69's had multi-leaf springs and it will not bolt in properly to a mono-leaf spring. Also the shock mountings are different between the 2 years, Definitely not a bolt-in but it can be modified.

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
Why are you confused, Freddy ? You know more than most of us on this board.

We only know that the 67 is mono-leaf (because all 67's were.) We don't know what the '69 is. If it is multi-leaf the perches are wrong. Now you also have a staggered shock vs. non-staggered set up.

·
Premium Member
3,398 Posts
Have to agree with Freddie on this one. It is a bolt in. You are just re-using the bottom plates from the 67. If the 69 came out of a single leaf car, no other mods. If it came out of a multi leaf car, simply use spacers to take up the space of the other leaves. It isn't like the plates are welded.

Also, I think the chart above is assuming a 1:1 high gear. OP says he has a five speed (at least describes shifting from 1-3-5) which is likely an overdrive. Need to take that into consideration. With OD fifth, 3.73 is probably just about right for him. 3.55 at the highest (low number, high ratio) you would want to go, or you start lugging in fifth.

·
Premium Member
5,228 Posts
Multi leaf springs will add a little travel to the shock by being spaced downward, not much, but if I recall there is a different shock for multi leaf cars versus mono?

·
Registered
6,094 Posts
I've been told that there were some multi leaf 10 bolt rear ends used in the '69 Camaros, but I have never seen one. All of the 8.2 10 bolt '67 to '69 Camaro rear ends that I have ever seen were mono leaf. What I don't understand is why people are talking about shock mounts. The shocks don't mount to the rear end, they mount to the lower plates. If you just use the '67 plates then there should be no problems.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
3,361 Posts
My '69 has a multi-leaf 10 bolt but I'm not sure of it's originality.

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
Hey Freddie, I wasn't aware that most 10-bolts had mono springs. As far as, if it was a multi-leaf and you were to use the 67 shock plates, you would have to use spacers. To me that isn't a bolt in if other parts are needed. That is why I answered his question as a Yes and a No.

Another difference is that the '67 has a traction bar. The 1969 does not. If the O.P. wants this... more fabrication. The smarter choice would be Slide-A-Links, but again more Non-stock parts.

So MY answer again is Yes and No. Can it be done fairly easy ? Yes. Is it a direct bolt-in ? not really.

·
Registered
6,094 Posts
Only the 12 bolt got the traction bar in '67, so that still doesn't apply here.

So to sum it up, if the '69 10 bolt has mono leaf perches then it's a bolt in. If it has multi leaf perches then additional work is required.

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
:) :) :)

·
Premium Member
1,468 Posts
I've been told that there were some multi leaf 10 bolt rear ends used in the '69 Camaros, but I have never seen one. All of the 8.2 10 bolt '67 to '69 Camaro rear ends that I have ever seen were mono leaf. What I don't understand is why people are talking about shock mounts. The shocks don't mount to the rear end, they mount to the lower plates. If you just use the '67 plates then there should be no problems.

I have a '67 with multi leaf springs (obviously the car did not come this way), but I bolted an 8.5" 10 bolt out of a '79 skylark into the Camaro about 13 or 14 years ago....I used the '67 lower plates, and the shocks are int he stock location (for a '67)...

Have had trouble free driving for many miles and years now...

Bottom line, it is a direct bolt in, re-using the '67 perches...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.