Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to install my rocker trim strip and my Camaro assembly manual is not clear as to how far back from the front fender well trim the strip should start or how far down from the bottom edge of the door it should be. Can anyone help?

·
Premium Member
6,709 Posts
This question comes up every now and then and then I have trouble searching for the old post so here it is from that old post.
This info also includes the black out paint secription for the rocker, If you already did the black or are not going to paint the rocker black, then skip that info.

I condensed my info into this one post here:

Here is the front portion on my 69

Here is the rear portion on my 69

The black out follows the center of the spear molding.

Do you have the holes for the rocker molding? The black starts on the top at the center of the holes for the rocker molding, then extends down to the pinch weld on the lower rocker. It doesnt go all the way up to the sill plate. I can get those measurements for you. The black is centered with the center of the molding, then wraps inside of each wheel well.

Okay, here's what I came up with on my car. I hope this makes sense:

The paint line is centered on the holes for the rocker molding mounting bracket. When I measured on the front fender, it was 2 5/16" up from the bottom edge of the fender. It was 1/2" down from the edge of the sill. When it got to the back, in front of the rear wheel opening, it was down 3/4" form the line that divides the rear qtr and rocker. It is a straight line from the front across to the qtr.

I measured the holes for the mounting bracket and came up with this:

The first hole is aprox 2 1/2 inches back from the front fender edge (so it would be 2 5/16 inches up from bottom of fender), the second hole in the bracket is back about 11 1/8" from the front fender edge. The last hole is 2 1/2 inches in front of rear wheel opening. I would think that these are the holes for the screws that go thru the molding, now that I think of it, but the rest of the molding or bracket would be centered on the paint line. It seems that the rocker molding comes close to the edge of the sill when mounted. I have them on right now. If you need better measurements or pics, let me know.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply. I do not have the holes in the rocker panel as my car is a convertible and the rockers were a mess so I cut them out and installed new ones. I will try the measurements you gave me and see how it lays out. I'll get back if I have any other questions.

Thanks,
Tad

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
Oh man! I went through all my stuff and don't have a picture to help you. Let me know if you need one and I'll get on it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I check out the info I have abd see how it lays out. Hopefully it will work. Been working on thei SS350 for the last ten years. Complete frame off, all NOS parts used in the restoration and would hate to mess up with this final item. My daughter wanted it ready for highschool graduation then college and now she graduates from law school next month. This is the last item to install and it will be ready to drive to graduation.

Tad

1 - 5 of 5 Posts