Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a very nice looking and restored rosewood steering wheel for the Z11. I know for a fact that it's not a repro BUT when I compared it to 2 other rosewood wheels in friend's cars, my wheel was slightly bigger in size AND the center was deeper.

I have my suspicions that it's a wheel for a '67-68 car that was painted to look like a '69 Rosewood or a "Walnut" steering wheel.

When I asked the seller about the noticeable differences, he said that "early" production '69's came with that wheel.

I requested a refund. He has another one currently for sale on Ebay.

·
11,264 Posts
Danny, the 67 and 68 wheels were deeper then the 69s and they were the "walnut" wood. 69s are less deep due to the different column length. The early 69's were still walnut and changed mid year (I really don't know when) to the rosewood to match. So if it was an "early" wheel it would be a shallow walnut, not a deep rosewood!

I've had both kinds of wheels, plus a buddy has an early 69 walnut wheel.

Have fun, Kevin

------------------
69' SS-350 Convert, M20, 3.55 posi. Totally Disassembled & in boxes (I'm working on it!)
69'(Hugger Orange -originally, Burgundy now) Z-21 Convert 327/PG, Driver

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your help guys! I think it is indeed a walnut wheel restored to be a rosewood. In that case, I'm returning it to get one that was originally a rosewood.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts