Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a rosewood or comfortgrip wheel for my 69 Z/28 The prices i'm seeing for used originals is crazy !!!! Has anyone bought a aftermarket one from Rick's. I see the whole kit for around 319.00
Thanx Mark

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
I see them cheaper than that on eBay, and they are made by the same manufacturer (OER), I bought the Rosewood and was very happy with it. Can you tell it's not an original? Certainly, but for the difference in price, I think they are very well worth it........I'm currently looking for a comfort grip for my 69 Chevelle, and I'm about convinced I'm going to have to go with the repro, can't find a decent original one for less than an arm and/or leg.........KZ

·
Registered
412 Posts
I haggled about the same thing..... I just can't believe the prices for the original ones, just can't get myself to spend $1200 on a steering wheel....so I swallowed my pride and went repro.

Beware the kits though. The repro horn contact ring assy really stinks, so try to get a GM one if you can.

You can dull-down the super-gloss finish by using super-fine steel wool.

OER had a problem with these things cracking, but the rep at Classic Camaro (the same people own OER) told me that the cracking issue was resolved and any problems would be replaced with new.

So you know what???? Go the repro look and use the rest of the cash you save on something more worthy to fix on your car......

My two cents.....

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I can't afford the originals and they have a tendancy to crack anyway. Years ago I spent the money for a nice uncracked original standard wheel and sure enough, it cracked later. This time I bought a repro rosewood wheel and kit. Nobody that knows the difference will be fooled but it looks 100% better than any Grant wheel to me. I still have both wheels and I choose to run the repro.

It works for me.

-Mark.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
The correct name for the NK1 wheel is "cushioned-rim." It does not appear as an option for a '69 Camaro until the April rev of the dealer ordering info. Chevrolet shows 0 sold. You may see '69s with the NK1 wheel but no documented factory installation is presently known.

The '69 N34 wheel had a walnut-grained rim until around December '68. A rosewood N34 would be considered incorrect for a '69 built prior to that date.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have a RePo Rosewood I will sell. Got it for my Z/28 and sold the car before I got to put it on. I will take 275 for it you pay shiping.

TIM

·
Registered
236 Posts
I bought an original uncracked Rosewood about 4 years ago before prices went thru the roof....I am not in a hurry to put it on my car....maybe I will try a repro unit first. :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts