Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of adding the RS hide away head lights to my 69 standard Camaro (just love the look). I bought the conversion kit, but it did not come with any instructions. Being a novice, I have figured out most of the installation process, but wanted to ask for help before I get too far. I am interested in knowing where the vacuum tank mounts and see if anyone has done this type of conversion before. I want to make sure my sequence and drilling of mounting screws for the headlight casings is correct. Does anyone have pictures of how the RS interior vacuum tank and hosing is mounted? Does anyone have advice as to the sequence of installation? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Craig

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
No instructions!? I'd be right back to the phone yelling at the vendor. Conversion is a big job.
Did it come with the correct backup lights? To access the correct wires means a 'die-stamp' hole under the bumper. Haven't heard of a way to do this properly so I haven't seen the lights in conversion kits. Here's a look.

·
Retired
16,027 Posts
Craig maybe the pics in my folder here can give you some ideas. Its a major undertaking for sure.
RS folder

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the picture. I haven't thought about the rear lights yet , but that will be next on my list.. Right now, I'm trying to make sure I have the front end installed correctly. I want to make sure I install the vacuum tank in the engine compartment properly and in the correct location. I'm also concerned with the actuators and their installation. Do you happen to have any pictures of how your front end looks with regards to the actuators and vacuum lines? Thanks again... really appreciate the input!!

·
Retired
16,027 Posts
Craig, I went thru my pics and found a bunch that will help you out. Go to my folder again RS stuff
There are a bunch of pics toward the bottom all starting with VAC that show better images. The Vac Tank on my RS was changed in its lifetime, someone had a fender bender on that side and replaced the inner and outer fenders. Repo fenders dont have the dimples for the location of the Vac tank bolts so its just by eye. Im guessing mine is 90% accurate. The angle is correct I know. Hope these help.

Here is one pic thats pretty good. Mark's engineering diagrams are great and very accurate too. :)

·
Retired
16,027 Posts
I added 2 pics that I just took in the garage today. I dont know how much closer I can get to the radiator. Im around an inch from it now. It would be nice to get someone with an original 69RS to take some pics of the Vac tank in place, then pull the tank and measure the location of the 3 holes that bolt it down so we can have it for reference. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
These are a great help!! I hate to tell you where I was going to mount the vacuum tank, but it wasn't this close to the radiator ;-). What's that saying, measure twice and cut once..In this situation, ask the experts for pictures and install once... Thanks!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll take some pictures of before, during and after and post them for you guys to see what I'm up to.. More to come

·
Registered
602 Posts
the fenderwells should have dimples for the tank and RS washer bottle where the yellow squares are . the others are for the RS braces and crank . the door pictures show the corners painted black ,so you don't see body color through the grill .

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
Ask and yea shall receive; (original stuff)

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
I added 2 pics that I just took in the garage today. I dont know how much closer I can get to the radiator. Im around an inch from it now. It would be nice to get someone with an original 69RS to take some pics of the Vac tank in place, then pull the tank and measure the location of the 3 holes that bolt it down so we can have it for reference. :)

Ya know,,,,,, The bolt heads are in the wheel-well. Maybe the tank doesn't need to come out. Be right back,,,,

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
I'll do this with a fresh post. Here ya go;

Last one!;

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Awesome pictures and guide. I'm a bit slow due to time constraints, but I got the right side hideaway headlight installed. It took a bit of wrangling to figure out where to drill the holes and how the brackets mounted. Adapter brackets to hold the outside mounting of headlight didn't line up correctly and took some bending to get it right. Tough without directions, but one side is done.. As promised, I'll have picture posted soon. At least to show my progress. Haven't even gotten to the vacuum tank or lines yet, but moving forward..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello! Could someone please tell me where to buy a conversion kit for my 67 model? And for those of you who have done this, is it a huge operation?

Thanks! Kindest regards from Norway

1 - 18 of 18 Posts