Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm looking to convert my 69 Camaro SS to have an RS front end since I like the look better. I've been doing my research and it appears there are numerous places out there that sell the complete conversion kit. The one I have been looking at is this one...

http://www.rickscamaros.com/camaro-...-headlight-door-kit-for-non-rs-cars-1969.html

From what I can tell that is a complete kit with electric motors and all so it should have every single piece I need to get the front end on the car. I can see that it's also a Detroit Speed kit which from what I understand comes with the fender brackets for the headlight buckets (so no need for RS fenders).

My question is this... Does anyone else out there have the Detroit Speed RS kit and if so what are your opinions on it? My main concerns are fitment and the quality of the reproduction. I want it to fit nicely and look factory with attention to detail.

I don't mind if it takes 10-12 hours to install it, I grew up rebuilding motors so installing a front end is the least of my concerns. I would just like to make sure that this kit has everything I need so I won't have to order up anything else once I get it.

Thanks guys!

·
16,129 Posts
I got mine from Steves Camaros.

I will take longer then 12 hours Been there done that

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got mine from Steves Camaros.

I will take longer then 12 hours Been there done that
Really? It just seems so odd that something that looks so simple could take such a long time. Is there something involved that takes up a significant more amount of time than the other stuff?

Also, how do you like the Detroit Speed kit? Is it a good reproduction? It looks good in pictures but just curious about the up close and in person quality and fitment.

·
Registered
17 Posts
We just finished installing such a kit on a 1969 Camaro, but it was purchased from D & R, $700 (Rick's is $800). The installation went without much wailing or gnashing of teeth, except that the doors did not fully open or close. The kit came with no instructions. We figured out the "Black Box" contained the adjustable controls. After that, it was easy breezy.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We just finished installing such a kit on a 1969 Camaro, but it was purchased from D & R, $700 (Rick's is $800). The installation went without much wailing or gnashing of teeth, except that the doors did not fully open or close. The kit came with no instructions. We figured out the "Black Box" contained the adjustable controls. After that, it was easy breezy.
Helpful info! They really ought to make instructions for these kits, haha!

Rick's sells it for $800? I see it for over $1300 here...
http://www.rickscamaros.com/camaro-...-headlight-door-kit-for-non-rs-cars-1969.html

·
Registered
47 Posts
i used the ricks kit, it took some time to fine tune it and fit every thing but im very happy with it.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i used the ricks kit, it took some time to fine tune it and fit every thing but im very happy with it.
Good to hear. Rick's sells the Detroit Speed kit which is what I'll go with. I'm so close to buying it from Rick's. Just hoping they'll send me some sort of coupon code to save a little bit of money when ordering it. That would seal the deal!

·
Registered
10,515 Posts
Really? It just seems so odd that something that looks so simple could take such a long time. Is there something involved that takes up a significant more amount of time than the other stuff?
A fair amt of stuff to remove but not bad. You're going to be dealing with repro stuff that has moving parts. A fair amt of bending, shimming, tweaking & cussing. Odds are it won't just bolt together & be right. You also will need to properly locate and drill a rather large hole in the inner fender for the bell crank to fit through on each side. Odds are also good that if your car happens to have repro fenders the grill won't fit the opening very well at the fender ends, so you might have to mess around with that. Once you get everything assembled and operating correctly then you take it back apart and get the grille, door covers & the stiffener painted body body color, then reassemble. At least that's the order I did mine.

·
Registered
10,515 Posts
The bell crank is the big deal at the end (bottom) of the shaft in the attached photo. It is what the actuator attaches to in order to open and close the doors (DSE motors in your case) It passes through a hole in the horizontal part of the inner fender. Non RS inner fenders don't have this large hole - you'll need to accurately locate it and drill it, likely with a holesaw. Your DSE motors will attach to the underside of the inner fenders ahead of the front wheels and attach to the bell crank..

http://www.rickscamaros.com/productmedia/catalog_product_gallery/index/id/546/image/0/

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
ALL right, I see what direction I want to go as well, and I see local guys here in the "Couve" and PDX are doing or have done this so I have locate experts :)

More photos as you do it would be great...so when I get my kit I can count on your pain to see how you over came the troubles, LOL

Great site

·
16,129 Posts
Install the buckets and doors 1st. Then fit the grill. Make sure the doors open and close easily and make all adjustments BEFORE you hook up the motor linkage to the bell cranks.

Be prepared to shim and possibly elongate holes etc as needed.

The DSE system works on resistance not limit switches. If the doors do not operate smoothly the system will sense the resistance and stop the motor.

There is NO adjustment for the sensitivity.

btw I have installed the DSE system on 2 69s and it's great.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Good news - it looks like the DSE kit includes a template for drilling the bellcrank holes in your inner fenders, so you got that going for you, which is nice.

http://www.detroitspeed.com/images/instructions/69 Camaro RS headlight Kit.pdf
That will make life easier! Though I don't actually see the template with that PDF. I assume it must be something that comes with the kit?

From way I gather most of my time on this is going to be spent getting everything lined up and looking nice. It seems pretty straight forward otherwise.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts