Team Camaro Tech banner
41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Just received 2016 Classic Industries master catalog for Gen 1s and they have two conversion kits now for 67-68 and one for 69. Part number for 67-68 is 14589 and 69 is 14590. Shown on page 239 of catalog. Will.

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
1,649 Posts
just finnished mine

Im a happy Camper now lol.
A little final tweaking of the position and im all set.

old grill pic.
Gorgeous looking car Harry. I hope to be doing the same conversion on mine soon. No rush though... weatherman says this snow will hang around until April some time, no indication of another tropical meltdown in Western Mass! 😎

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
1,649 Posts
My car is finally back from the shop. Hope to get moving on this and other projects soon. Other than paintbwork, I'm hoping it's a weekend job? Going to ask Harry for as many pointers as possible. 😂

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Has anyone tried the Retro-Electro kit? I just read their install instructions, and it looks like a pretty solid kit. Thoughts?

·
Registered
28 Posts
i bought the stage 3 kit from camaro central it was 1600.00 but the kit is 80%assembled and only 2 wires no drilling in firewall or hooking up through headlight switch this is a quality kit

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello All , New to the forum .Good info on the conversion , has any one else used the camaro central kit? any ne revelations i should know before i jump in. My car arrives sunday and my first order of business is to get the RS kit installed.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I put the stage one central camaro kit in my car. Mine was already an RS. Took about 4 hours. It is awesome love it. What took the longest was tweaking the light buckets that the doors are attached to, to make the gap when they are shut the best I could. That and making sure the doors clear good. If they hit anything that gives them any resistance they stop. So they have to move freely. But once you get them tuned they are awesome. Way nicer than vacuum!!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
with the Camaro central kit they say it is Preassembled and bolts right up is misleading!
the camaro performers install is misleading aswell. those special addon brackets go BEHIND the fender not in front of the fender as they have pictured. (I spent a week to figure that out cuz nothing was fitting right).
I also had to notch the radiator support on the drivers side to clear the motor.
But this kit is Much easier than the DSE kit by far unless you like playing with the wireing on the headlight switch im told. electrical hookup with this kit was Very easy plug and play kind of.
So these brackets should be mounted behind the factory tabs? is that correct?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Yes. If you don’t have factory RS fenders you need to get the brackets but they aren’t to expensive. Camaro central has the brackets

·
Registered
1 Posts
Really this post and all replay inspire to me to continue reading more......Thanks All

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
1,649 Posts
I'm almost there with the fitment of the grill shell, think I finally have it where it looks pretty even on both sides. Aligning the buckets is the next test of my brain LOL.

Just out of curiosity, the grill is molded in black ABS. How many of you have painted the center section black or left it in the raw ABS state? And if you painted it, what paint and finish... flat black, semi-gloss, satin, or gloss?

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
1,649 Posts
with the Camaro central kit they say it is Preassembled and bolts right up is misleading!
the camaro performers install is misleading aswell. those special addon brackets go BEHIND the fender not in front of the fender as they have pictured. (I spent a week to figure that out cuz nothing was fitting right).
I also had to notch the radiator support on the drivers side to clear the motor.
But this kit is Much easier than the DSE kit by far unless you like playing with the wireing on the headlight switch im told. electrical hookup with this kit was Very easy plug and play kind of.
It looks like I may have to do the same... I had to elongate the holes in the radiator support and use fender washers to move the bucket around, but when I snugged it up... the motor seems to hit the support and its probably cocking the bucket. Still messing with it, will try 1/2" spacer to see if that helps.

I put the stage one central camaro kit in my car. Mine was already an RS. Took about 4 hours. It is awesome love it. What took the longest was tweaking the light buckets that the doors are attached to, to make the gap when they are shut the best I could. That and making sure the doors clear good. If they hit anything that gives them any resistance they stop. So they have to move freely. But once you get them tuned they are awesome. Way nicer than vacuum!!!!
Camaro Central's "Instructions" are vague to say the least, but they tell you to refer to the Super Chevy article where they installed this kit on a '69. The install copy notes that they used spacers on the firewall support to push the bucket forward slightly. I'm trying that now, will update when I get it so the headlight door fits properly.

So these brackets should be mounted behind the factory tabs? is that correct?
Yes... Here's a picture, ignore the extra long machine screws. Just a trial fit.

·
Registered
1969 Camaro SS350
399 Posts
Does anyone have a photo or can tell me were the rubber bump stops go on head light doors when closing. Got open stops OK but can't figure out were closing ones go. Retro Electro kit.

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
1,649 Posts
Installed retro electro kit, Things went great, Looks bad ***.
https://i.imgur.com/YnlWXFD.jpg
Looks awesome! I'm debating whether its necessary to paint the center section black or just leave it molded plastic... what did you do? Going to have a friend who owns a local body shop paint my outer grill, bumper, headlight doors, and bullet mirrors when everything is ready, might do the spoiler too. Always liked this look (yeah mine is LeMans Blue).

Attachments

41 - 60 of 64 Posts