Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace one of my RS headlight covers. What is the easiest way to do this?

·
Retired
16,027 Posts
Do you have the 69 AIM assembly instruction manual? If not that is the best guide to have. The doors themselves have only a few bolts but you need new or good condition plastic sleeved washers and special bolts. The exisiting bolts might be ok, but the plastic washers and even special warped thin steel washers are all available in a kit from camaro catalog such as from our site sponsor Ground Up or Ricks etc.
Its a knuckle buster if the front grille and bumper and valence are on the car but its doable. What is in place on your car now?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont have that instruction manual, and everything is on the car grille, valence, etc. Basically i just needed to know if there was a way where i didn't have to take all that off. and could just bolt the cover on.

·
Retired
16,027 Posts
You can unbolt the old and rebolt the new ones, using small wrenches and sockets etc. Just have that new washer kit ready to go. The old ones are probably shot. :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
K, but what parts do i need to remove in order remove and install the cover.

·
Retired
16,027 Posts
That raises a question, are you talking about the whole door or just the colored cover door with the horizontal slots in it? Some folks replace the outer covers if chipped or broken. The inner frame cover is another story. The AIM catalog is really going to be necessary for you to have, its available from our site sponsore Ground Up and most other resto parts catalogs. It has the break away drawings in it.
If I recall on mine, to get the inner door off there is a VERY long bolt at the backside that is a bear to get off. There is the swing arm (bellcrank) under that inner door frame with one bolt holding it. With that bellcrank disconnected the door flops around easier for you to reach other bolts.
You should easily be able to see the bolts with a good light and up close view. Getting those bolts out takes small knuckles on your wrenches and patience.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts