Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I've been lurking on this site on and off for years. I've had this 69 RS/SS Lemans Blue clone for about 9 years. It has a 454, 4-speed (T10), 3.73 rear, white interior, and I've put on a Hotchkis TVS suspension system and subframe connectors since I took these pictures.

Let's test if I can successfully post some pictures

I live in OC, California.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've been driving it more lately in the nice fall weather and got the bug for some changes and upgrades. So I'm back to reading the boards.

Things I want:

1) 5-speed tranmission. Currenty running about 2800 rpm at 60mph and want to do more freeway driving.
2) Engine upgrades. Was thinking about a BBC crate engine but in order to keep the costs down, thinking about upgrading mine with aluminum heads, headers.
3) 4-wheel discs
4) Modern rubber and new wheels - but keep classic look as much as possible. Front wheel rubs occasionally in turns since I lowered it.
5) Tightening up the body fit in a few places if possible.
6) A hundred little things.

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
Welcome John. Nice ride. Thanks for the pictures.

·
Retired
16,005 Posts
John, awesome car... now go rip that orange FORD 'caution fan' sticker off your fan shroud. Only FORD used that, never chevy or camaro at all. :)

·
Premium Member
2,762 Posts
John, awesome car... now go rip that orange FORD 'caution fan' sticker off your fan shroud. Only FORD used that, never chevy or camaro at all. :)
Its trying to pull itself off!
Nice car John, killer stance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, thanks. I ripped that sticker off and put on a new intake manifold and 800cfm carb. How's that for responsiveness? :thumbsup:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what sizes bf goodrich are you running on that car ?
P235/60R15 Fronts
P245/60R15 Rear

The front right tire rubs when I dip to the right on a slow turn, like into my driveway. The front left doesn't rub. The right fender fits slightly differently than the right, just a little more forward in the wheel well, and there is a bigger gap between the right fender and the right side passenger door.

·
Super Moderator
32,360 Posts
Welcome, John
Nice upgrades. I'm impressed on the manifold & carb swapout between 1:52 PM and 4:12 PM. I think maybe it may be a record.
Nice Camaro, and nice driver! Good to see the Ford sticker gone.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
1st, welcome to TC! Nice ride.

Regarding the last post and the right fender alignment, I can also see in the photo that the front edge of the door is exposed/visible. The rear edge of the fender is supposed to be out just a bit relative to the front edge of the door, for aero purposes and also to allow the gap to be closer without knocking off the paint on the peak of the door.

Do you have a copy of the 69 AIM? If you have concerns about the gaps and the way the wheel sits fore/aft in the opening, the best way to begin would be to start checking how the front sheetmetal is installed relative to the way the factory did it. Need to look at door to fender gaps, squareness of the assembled pieces (cross/x measurements across the fender edges with the hood up, etc), and so on. If you do not have the 69 AIM, PM me and I will get you one.

It can be a pain, depending on how bad things are misaligned, how much (like say, the hood) has to be removed to allow proper adjustments, and whether reproduction sheet metal has been installed and what the quality of those parts are. But with the factory procedures and data/measurements, you at least have a road map.

It is also possible, in addition to sheet metal adjustments, that you need to look at the subframe bushings, bushing mounting points (common rust area, allows subframe to move in ways GM did not intend), and subframe alignment (more measuring fore and aft, and cross dimensions from specific reference points to make sure the subframe itself is aligned correctly. That info is in threads here I can steer you too, and/or send you some parts of the 69 Fisher Body Manual.

It's always something :) :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts