Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently have been looking at a 69 RS z/28 that is for sale. I have looked the car over top to bottom and it appears to be genuine. It was manufactured at the Van Nuys Plant in the fifth week of October, 1968. The problem I have is that the "X33" code does not appear on the cowl tag. Where the X-code normally appears is a code "A661". Is this a real RS Z/28? Please help!!

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
There are no "X" codes on Van Nuys built Camaros. The code you saw is just some sort of batch code. There is no way to determine if the car is a real Z28 without documentation or the original motor, trans or rear. What engine is in the car now? Look for 4 leaf rear springs, 12 bolt rear, power disc brakes, etc. Check over at CRG www.camaros.org to find out what else to look for.

------------------
Jeff H - 93 Indy 500 Pace Car(supercharged), Hugger Orange 69 Z28 with JL8 brakes & crossram

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jeff H. The car has an incorrect DZ engine, but it has power disk brakes (front), correct trans, and a correct rear end.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
MAXIMUM69, Could you post or email me the numbers off your car? I would appreciate it....

------------------
Steve McCorry - Central Ohio Camaro Club
'69 Camaro RS/SS-350 - Daytona Yellow
'95 Camaro Z-28 - Sebring Silver
click here to see my webpage ---> www.mindspring.com/~mccorry (updated 10/8/00)

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
One last thing you could look for is the broadcast sheet on top of the gas tank. It should be on the driver's side. The LA built cars often had the sheet glued to the gas tank. You should be able to look for it without lowering the tank. If you do see it, the only way to remove it is to remove the tank. That paper will be pretty fragile so don't touch it until you can look at it first and even then, take pictures.

------------------
Jeff H - 93 Indy 500 Pace Car(supercharged), Hugger Orange 69 Z28 with JL8 brakes & crossram

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The VIN is 124379L507143.

The cowl tag reads as follows:
ST69 12437 LOS132483 BDY
TR 712 69 69 PNT
10E A661

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Turns out that I already have this car. It has 4.10 rear gears? RS/Z right?

If you end up getting the car, I'd love to get the rest of the #'s off it.....

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's the one. 69 rs Z/28, Cortez Siler, Black, Deluxe interior. If i end up with it, I'll post every number I can find.

Thanks for your help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts