Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Seems like an awful lot of dollars for a project car($14k+plus now). I don't get this high dollar price swing on Zs that has been happening. While I understand the cool factor of owning a Z especially a first gen, I personally prefer the SS396 cars.
IMO I think you would be better off spending High 20's on a done one, unless you can do a majority of the work that car will need. Just my opinion though do what you want to do. Best of luck if you decide to bid.

·
Retired
26,951 Posts
I think it's gone beyond the price I would pay already. He has $20K into it and is getting $14.5K already with about an hr and a half to go. I think it will cost you $5K or more to put it back together body wise and then you are still a long way from done. You'll have to spend a total of $50K (cost of the car included) or more to end up with a $40K car. Sweat equity always help keep costs in check but it's still too much IMO.

Just to give you an idea, you could put well over a grand in just the dash of a car like that to make all the vents, heater, radio and guages work and be like or better than new. You won't get top dollar if you don't restore every detail of the car to that level.

If you can afford it, would be the only way I would say buy it. It does have potential!

·
Registered
222 Posts
I agree with Jeff and Dennis. You would be way better off to buy a done car at that price. See my signature below as I just sold my "found in a barn" RS-Z/28 that needed No body work, No interior work, ran and drove and was a documented all numbers matching car for $21K and it wasn't easy to get that for it. Buy a done one. There was a nice one or two in the classifieds on this website recently.

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the input. i thought about it for a bit. i didnt put in a bid. i know i wuld have been buying it for another project that would have be going on for years. i think i have my plate full already. i still have my other 68 to restore along with my other cars and my boat is always needing attention. im planning on buying a s500 to cruise around in. actually, its for my wife. well, anyway, thanks for the advise. it helped me make my decision.

angel

1 - 5 of 5 Posts