Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm thinking of getting the center console for my rs. Should i bother getting the one w/guages. I have all the sensors and hook ups for them. My car came original w/4 speed, however, does anyone know if it would have come with center console w/out gauges. I thought that the gauges only came w/z-28. Also, i'm gonna see if i can find one at english town this weekend. Any tips for buying guages at a swap meet?
tanks a million.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I had a '69 rs/ss convertible and it had the factory console with gauges. I would think you could have gotten the console with or without the gauges. I would personally always want the console and gauges if anyway possible. I think they really add to the interior. I keep an extra console around all the time in case I ever buy a '69 Camaro that doesn't have a console.

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
The gauges were an option. If I was starting fresh, I'd add the Autometer package rather than original.

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4.10's and I don't worry about stone chips ( yet ).

·
Registered
797 Posts
I agree with what Rick said, go with the Auto-Meter gauges. You will not be very pleased with the factory gauges once you have seen the A/M set up. I sold my factory gauges on E-Bay and am now switching over to the A/M pieces. Getting rid of the ammeter alone makes for a safer car, with less worry about wiring harness fires, or the car burning down.

------------------
1969 Camaro SS 350-383ci./365HP, T-56, 12 bolt, Power Trax Locker, 3.73 gears, 4 whl disc, Deluxe black houndstooth interior, rear window defogger, tilt steering, floor console w/gauge package, center mntd. clock, tachometer

·
Registered
39 Posts
So do the Auto-Meter guages look factory?
I'm planning to add my console and guages soon. Does the factory (or repro.) wiring harness connections work on the A.M. guages?

------------------
Fathom Green 69 SS 350

·
Registered
797 Posts
NO, the A/M gauges do not look like the factory gauges at all. They are round. There is a "pod" that AutoMeter sells that is specifically designed to go in the front of the console of the 68 & 69 cars where the factory gauges normally would be. I do not think that the plug on the factory harness will connect with the A/M gauges. You will have to cut & splice, or locate another factory gauge harness and use the connector off of it and wire the gauges in that way so that you can still unplug them if need be.
Go to www.autometer.com and do a product search for gauge pods to see a picture of the pod with installed gauges.

------------------
1969 Camaro SS 350-383ci./365HP, T-56, 12 bolt, Power Trax Locker, 3.73 gears, 4 whl disc, Deluxe black houndstooth interior, rear window defogger, tilt steering, floor console w/gauge package, center mntd. clock, tachometer

·
Registered
81 Posts
Rick's First Gen sells a wiring harness specifically for installing the Autometer gauges and pod. It is Part No. AM-14 and is located on Page 98 of their latest catalog.

You can download the catalog from www.firstgen.com

1 - 9 of 9 Posts