Team Camaro Tech banner

1241 - 1260 of 1292 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,241
Your hard work is paying off and it's all looking really good. I am curious how you cut the dimmer switch hole? I lost my grommet (purchased the carpet probably 8 months ago and somehow in the process misplaced the grommet) so had to order another one yesterday. Was contemplating how to cut the hole and thinking it was going to be a pain in the neck. Part of me wishes I had ordered 80/20 loop as the ACC thick cut pile I bought is way harder to tuck under things like the kick panels, etc.
Combination of knife and fabric scissors. It was no fun...I'm sure there's a better way I just don't know what it is!

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
You did a great job on the seats. My neighbor has an upholstery shop and gave me a few hints when doing the seats for the next time. They use canvas instead of burlap, holds the springs better and lasts longer. Instead of the mice attracting cotton he uses foam sheeting, like the front, on top of the canvas in needed layers. Trim if needed with a hand sander. Set the covers in the sun before installing. Another hint, guys install a AC/heat unit in your shop/garage. Mine is 15 years old and keeps the 3 cars shop nice and cool!!!

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,245
You did a great job on the seats. My neighbor has an upholstery shop and gave me a few hints when doing the seats for the next time. They use canvas instead of burlap, holds the springs better and lasts longer. Instead of the mice attracting cotton he uses foam sheeting, like the front, on top of the canvas in needed layers. Trim if needed with a hand sander. Set the covers in the sun before installing. Another hint, guys install a AC/heat unit in your shop/garage. Mine is 15 years old and keeps the 3 cars shop nice and cool!!!
I can definitely see canvas working well in place of burlap. I’m kinda glad I didn’t know about that since my zip tie trick wouldn’t work well with canvas! Is your ac/heat unit one of those mini-split units? I’ve wondered about those.

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,246
My drivers seat was in poor shape in comparison to the others. Probably because it was over a giant hole in the floor....even the listing rod was rusted through. I replaced the rod with hanger wire and then duplicated the method of recovering from the passenger seat. I also had to fabricate and weld on some clips that rusted off which held the springs in place. The seat tracks and the bottom spring got hit lightly with the sandblaster to knock of the heavy rust. Surface rust I left alone.

So now all the seat are installed, carpet installed, quarter trim installed, and I drilled a wire hole I the center console so that the FI controller fits nicely tucked in the box.

So now it was time for maiden voyage! Did a once over mechanically, programmed the speedometer and took her down the road. 7 years to the first ride, what an experience! The gearing and the shifting is spot on and smoooooth. She runs beautifully! No vibrations or gear whine or any bad sounds. I couldn’t be happier with the initial drive. My project now has 3 miles on it. Picture is in front of my parents garage.

Maiden Voyage

·
Premium Member
Tim - The Northwest 1969 Camaro
954 Posts
Looks really good, I have appreciated following your build thread as your attention to detail and willingness to document have been a great help to me. Had my first start today, thinking the maiden voyage is probably three or four weeks away so we'll see.

·
Premium Member
Brett - Leander, Texas 1969 SS396
1,515 Posts
Very nice and great video Matt. I really like the idea of placing the FI Hand-held inside the console compartment. I placed the slide-in housing of mine on top with Velcro, but I like your idea better. Although, I do like the fact that with a quick glance I can see what is going on, where if it was inside, I would have to flip open the console door. Now that I'm driving mine more, I will assess different locations.
Brett....

·
Premium Member
Shawn Lemans Blue 1969 Camaro LS3, TKO 600
449 Posts
That’s awesome Matt. Love the laugh in the video, like a kid with a new toy.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
I can definitely see canvas working well in place of burlap. I’m kinda glad I didn’t know about that since my zip tie trick wouldn’t work well with canvas! Is your ac/heat unit one of those mini-split units? I’ve wondered about those.
My AC/Heat is the standard old style VA system. . . .10 years ago installed

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Congratulations on the 3 mile ride! I have the twin to your car, RSSS, with 55K Original miles, 24 options. Orange/Blk Delux. Repaint in 1990 and new rubber and dash. A survivor I have owned for 30 years.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Wow - I didn't realize there was a maiden voyage video attached under the photo. Just watched it and what a great motivator for me who's car is about at the stage of page 8 of this story! Congrats

·
Premium Member
Tim - The Northwest 1969 Camaro
954 Posts
Wow - I didn't realize there was a maiden voyage video attached under the photo. Just watched it and what a great motivator for me who's car is about at the stage of page 8 of this story! Congrats
Right there with you Bob! I had to go back and look.

1241 - 1260 of 1292 Posts