Team Camaro Tech banner

1261 - 1280 of 1292 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,261
Wow - I didn't realize there was a maiden voyage video attached under the photo. Just watched it and what a great motivator for me who's car is about at the stage of page 8 of this story! Congrats
I had to go back and see what page 8 was like lol. That seems long ago and yesterday at the same time. All I can say is stay the course and you’ll be driving it soon. Thanks for the compliment!

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,262
Small update. Im in the details that take forever, so I’m always working but not much to show. Aligning the glass is a royal pain FYI.

Im sure some of you noticed the missing headrests. That’s because they were in bad shape and looked terrible against the new covers. I found a solution in PUI headrest covers that go over top.

This is the condition after a thorough washin.

It was recommended to add some fluff to help fill out the covers. I glued on some batting.

Finished product. Looks much better than what I had.

·
Registered
1969 Chevy Camaro and 1968 Pontiac Firebird
53 Posts
Adjusting the glass really is a pain. If I every feel like torturing myself I will go back and readjust mine. However right now I'm just living with it.

·
Premium Member
Tim - The Northwest 1969 Camaro
954 Posts
Small update. Im in the details that take forever, so I’m always working but not much to show. Aligning the glass is a royal pain FYI.

Im sure some of you noticed the missing headrests. That’s because they were in bad shape and looked terrible against the new covers. I found a solution in PUI headrest covers that go over top.

This is the condition after a thorough washin.

View attachment 266172

It was recommended to add some fluff to help fill out the covers. I glued on some batting.

View attachment 266173

Finished product. Looks much better than what I had.

View attachment 266174
So I didn't know my upholstery kit came with headrest covers and bought the reproduction ones (headrests, not covers). It will be interesting to see if they match and what the quality is like compared to covering the originals. Yours look good.

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,266
Been working on door panels. This thread was very useful:

Al Knoch 69 Deluxe Door Panels?

Ive got 2 full days worth of time getting all the modifications done, polishing the trim, installing the pieces.

First these panels have an ABS plastic backing, which is good for longevity but harder to work with. It was really hard to get pictures of the interference, but the plastic is too wide at the quarter and hits the windlace. To narrow it, I had to peel back the vinyl and cut the extra. I used the filler spreader as a backer so that I didn’t cut the vinyl.

After trimming the edge matches my tape line I had placed as a guide, and I could test fit and actually shut the door.

Obviously by that point I had transferred both of the trim strips. You do have to make the holes and everything in the new panels. I used the soldering iron like I did before, and the trim was buffed before installing it.

To start locating the attachment points, I dabbed toothpaste on the holes to use as a transfer mark.

This worked pretty well. I then started to add the clips and make the holes for the screws. You can see one of the staples I replaced pulled through the vinyl, so I added some 3M adhesive for good measure.

After many test fits I finally snapped it in place. I buffed the handle and the pull strap trim. The pull strap and handle shroud go bathed in Meguires interior polish and man everything really turned out good.

To be honest I’m not looking forward to the other one. It’s a lot of work.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Good to see someone with similar struggles as me. Glad you referred to that thread. Hopefully my struggles helped you out. I have many hours getting those panels to fit. But I got it done.

·
Premium Member
Shawn Lemans Blue 1969 Camaro LS3, TKO 600
449 Posts
Matt,
Who makes the kick panels?

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,271
They look good. Somehow in your thread I missed the fact you installed power windows. How are they working for you?
I have the kit from new relics which I highly recommend. The install was very simple and straightforward, it’s well engineered and has high quality components. It works well, but adjusting the glass is a pain in the .... but that would be true with manual regulators as well. I had an issue with the driver window motor, which I emailed nu relics about and they immediately shipped me a brand new window motor via priority mail. No hassle no whining they jumped right on it. I couldn’t be more impressed with their customer service. Holley could learn a thing or two from them....

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,272
Matt,
Who makes the kick panels?
Hey Shawn. I’m not sure...they’re from NPD. Pretty basic plastic covers but they fit halfway decent and are ready for future speakers. One thing I don’t like is they do not have the flap for the upper attaching screw like the originals. They still lay in place pretty well though.

·
Premium Member
Tim - The Northwest 1969 Camaro
954 Posts
Hey Shawn. I’m not sure...they’re from NPD. Pretty basic plastic covers but they fit halfway decent and are ready for future speakers. One thing I don’t like is they do not have the flap for the upper attaching screw like the originals. They still lay in place pretty well though.
So this reply is actually for Shawn - I have the same kick panels and mounted rectangular speakers behind them in the hole in the pillar. I found metal screens to fit over the kick panel holes so you can't really see the speaker shape. Matt is right though - no upper mounting point but once trapped behind the pillar pad seems like they will stay in place with the one screw I put through them down below.

·
Premium Member
Shawn Lemans Blue 1969 Camaro LS3, TKO 600
449 Posts
Matt/Tim,
Thanks for the response. I originally was not going to go with anymore speakers than the one in the front dash and the two in the rear, but I think I now want additional speakers up front. Of course I already bought kick panels so I need to decide to use if am going to use them or buy something like the kick panels from NPD.

What speakers are you guys planning on using?

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,276
Matt/Tim,
Thanks for the response. I originally was not going to go with anymore speakers than the one in the front dash and the two in the rear, but I think I now want additional speakers up front. Of course I already bought kick panels so I need to decide to use if am going to use them or buy something like the kick panels from NPD.

What speakers are you guys planning on using?
Probably round ones? Lol. That’s down the road for me, I haven’t thought that far. I also used to prefer Pioneer, but after they were bought out by Onkyo they turned into junk. At least in the home audio side. The car audio side could be different but I’ve been out of the scene too long to know anymore.

·
Registered
113 Posts
. I had an issue with the driver window motor, which I emailed nu relics about and they immediately shipped me a brand new window motor via priority mail. No hassle no whining they jumped right on it. I couldn’t be more impressed with their customer service. Holley could learn a thing or two from them....
I had a self inflicted issue with one of the wiring harnesses that was purely my fault. I called needing parts to fix it CLEARLY letting them know it was my fault. He wasnt having it and shipped me the pins and ect to fix my issue, no cost, no question, and wasnt going to take my money

HIGHLY recommend them not only for the really nice product, ease of installation with great instructions, but the customer service is superb

·
Registered
18 Posts
Matt,

Great thread with tons of details! Lots of nice work that you have done and shared. I am on page 47 and still reading to get caught up. I have read a lot of Patrick’s also, and there are several more that I have yet to get started going through. I am tired already 😀.

You are Blessed to have been able to do all of this. Keep up the good work!

·
Premium Member
Brett - Leander, Texas 1969 SS396
1,515 Posts
Matt,

Great thread with tons of details! Lots of nice work that you have done and shared. I am on page 47 and still reading to get caught up. I have read a lot of Patrick’s also, and there are several more that I have yet to get started going through. I am tired already 😀.

Yes Tony, some of these projects are really works of art. Perfection is a good description.
Brett....

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,280
Yes Tony, some of these projects are really works of art. Perfection is a good description.
Brett....
Matt,

You guys are too kind. Thanks for the compliments. I am very blessed...even the story of how I ended up with it was a blessing.

1261 - 1280 of 1292 Posts