Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to raise the back of my car 3/8". If I make a shackle 3/8" longer will it really raise the car that much or will it only lift it half that much being that its only "lifting" half the spring length. I have never done this before and I am clueless.

·
13,850 Posts
Approx 1/2. You would need 3/4" lower bolt hole center to center to raise 3/8"

·
Premium Member
5,230 Posts
I want to raise the back of my car 3/8". If I make a shackle 3/8" longer will it really raise the car that much or will it only lift it half that much being that its only "lifting" half the spring length. I have never done this before and I am clueless.
I personally never liked that shackle trick. Years ago you would see many cars with the extended shackles on them. IMHO not the proper way to raise a vehicle. Booster shocks (shocks with springs) raise a car approximately a 1/2 inch. I'm not even sure they still have booster shocks available though. LOL.

·
13,850 Posts
X2. Toss some KYB gas shocks on it. That will raise the rearend.

·
Retired
26,616 Posts
The rear end can't sit any higher than fully extended shocks will allow it and you really don't want to drive over a bump or dip and not have any extension travel. Shock extenders will help in raising the rear and keeping the car drivable if you do install taller shackles...

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I changed the rear springs with 2" lowering springs from summit. I was hoping it only dropped it 1.5" but it actually did lower it a full 2". That's why I was looking to get it back up 3/8" or so. Why will KYB gas shocks raise it a bit? Are they ride height adjustable?

·
13,850 Posts
I changed the rear springs with 2" lowering springs from summit. I was hoping it only dropped it 1.5" but it actually did lower it a full 2". That's why I was looking to get it back up 3/8" or so. Why will KYB gas shocks raise it a bit? Are they ride height adjustable?
KYB always raise the rear because they are gas filled and stiff. The also ride lousey IMO.

Simpler solution it to change the lowering blocs to 1 1 /2". A lowering block will always lower the car the thickness of the block.

Reactions: zdld17

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Approx 1/2. You would need 3/4" lower bolt hole center to center to raise 3/8"
Can you explain that one to me, I dont' quite get what you mean. The car is pretty close to stock looking until you REALLY start staring it down. That's why I was thinking of making a 3/8" longer shackle to raise it up. You would have to crawl up under there to look to see they are longer and if I did them right it would be hard for anyone to see even if they looked. I only need to go 3/8" up. I don't really want to put the old springs back in and use 1-1/2" lowering blocks. That for sure would be more noticable.

·
13,850 Posts
Why would you have to change the springs if you go from 2" to 1 1/2" lowering blocks?

Easier to change the blocks then then reworking or changing shackles

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My bad... I didn't explain it correctly. I put 1-1/2" lowering springs in it that I got from Summit. I didn't use lowering blocks. That's why I said I didn't want to put the old springs back in and then use a 1-1/2" lowering block to get the ride height I'm after. I just need 3/8" up from where I'm at now. (so close yet so far)..lol.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Do you have the rubber pad between the spring and axle perch? Set the axle dirextly on the spring with spacers under the spring.

I get what you are saying. That actually would get me close to 1/4" and I could live with that. I have never heard of putting the perch right on the spring without a rubber pad. Would that do anything weird to the car as far as vibration or something else?

·
Retired
26,616 Posts
I get what you are saying. That actually would get me close to 1/4" and I could live with that. I have never heard of putting the perch right on the spring without a rubber pad. Would that do anything weird to the car as far as vibration or something else?
Mine's been like that for years and no issues... I got more like an 1/8" by doing it on the Camaro... The Nova front leaf spring mount pockets Al mentioned would be the lessor of all evils as far as handling goes.

On the Nova I added longer shackles, but it took a set of load leveling Monroe coil over shocks before the height actually changed. It's not a corner carver though...

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everybody! I will also check out those Nova front spring pockets as well.

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
My car sits about 1.5" lower on the left rear compared to the right. My left shackle is pointed back towards the bumper, my right shackle is pointed forwards towards the axle.

No idea why...car is on jackstands under the axle.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts