Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all

my 69 has been siting for 30 years, now it is time to get her going again and get her on the road

i removed it from a barn last Sunday and finally brought her home THE FUN BEGINS !!!

she is a standard 69 307 v8 auto all wheel drum car (not sure how o post pics)

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
Welcome. If you are a lifetime member you can post you photos direct to the site and help support our community. The posted photos will auto resize and thumbnail. If you are not a paying member you have to post your photos off site and use image tags around the links to that off site picture.

I was in a similar position a few years back as my own had been garage bound for 20 something years. The restart process is not unlike an aircraft one, check the systems one by one, don't race through just hoping to get her started.

First drain the fuel tank if it got anything in it and disconnect the fuel line at the pump. Don't want to suck any crap into the system. Pull the air cleaner and inspect for unwanted residents - bees, and mice can get sicked into your intake when you hand crank.

Check to see mechanically first if she can roll over by removing the plugs and using a breaker bar on the pulley see if you can turn her over by hand. Remember to make a few engine cycle rotations of intake and exhaust.

If that works out well, then start refreshing all the systems one by one, Change oil and filter, the check cooling system, then the brakes, then transmission then charge up a battery. While that is charging, work on your carb and fuel system. Pour a little gas in the bowl and see if you have spark. If you are lucky she will roar.

Good luck. Mine was a barn find and I still can smell the cows on a damp day LOL.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Welcome! Others will chime in, but while you have the plugs out, squirt some oil in to the cylinders while rotating it. They have been stuck there for thirty years. And post some pics. Brian is correct. Get your shop vac out and any nests or etc...sweep them up or blow them off the engine, they may be on the intake or near there. Can be a fire hazard!

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
Even better than 'oil' in the cylinders is a 50:50 mix of transmission fluid and a solvent (mineral spirits, acetone, etc?).. it will be thin enough to get past the top ring to the second and 3rd rings.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
she fired up

i pulled plugs, sprayed some dw40 in cylinders, pulled distributor primed motor with new oil, dropped tank and cleaned it out, took fuel pump off sprayed out and took air gun and blew out the fuel line from tank to pump and pump to carb, threw new plugs in put distributor and wires back on, put fuel in and new battery and she fired right up, the 307v8 with 2b Rochester carb purs like a kitten.

took the seats and carpet out, bought all new seat foam and covers and am having a guy re do them

floor pan is in good condition, just a few pin holes behind passenger side front seat. going to sand floor a little and throw some paint on it before installing my new carpet.

just installed a new master cylinder and 4 wheel cylinders now just trying to get them bled out. thee is fluid going to all wheel cylinders but still have a pretty soft peddle?

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Did you bench bleed the MC in a vise and using a screw driver push the plunger in and out until all the bubbles were gone? Use the screw in plastic plugs in during the bleed. If they leak too bad then your need to buy 2 short break lines and curve them into the top open holes under the fluid.
Or starting at 2:21 in this video with no tubes
<---- I did it this way with just the plugs.

·
Premium Member
8,048 Posts
From "I found this thing in a barn" to "she fired up" in 3 hours? Paint me impressed!

·
Premium Member
8,048 Posts

pretty looking car!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts