Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In prior postings i have been toying with the option of rebuilding my 10 bolt 28 spline 8.2 " rear diff one legger with a eaton posi so i can hook-up with both tires, i received a lot of good advice in regared to my horse-power to rear-end ratio 440 hp with stock 10 bolt 28 spline 8.2 with 308 ring and pinion gears , i think ,through a turbo 350 3 speed auto transmition.
Here's the question ! I have the opportunity to acquire a 10 bolt rear end out of a 68 camaro, the owner put a EATON POSI with 3.36 GEAR RATIO. He stated he upgraded to a moser rear-end.

WOULD THIS REAR-END COMBINATION BE ADEQUATE FOR MY HORSEPOWER AND TRANSMITION ?

PS. I also wanted to go with taller rear-end gears !!
how are these ?? REPLY'S NEEDED THANKS
JAKER110

·
19,749 Posts
It's still an 8.2 if it was a stock 67-69 Camaro rear.

3.08 open to a 3.36 posi is a step in the right direction.

Also depends on what your going to do... cruise,drag,or both and how often. You are going to have to compromise if it's both.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I was going to do the same until I heard about the weak pinon gear. You might consider passing and looking for a nova 8.5 GM Corporate or a 12 Bolt. 440 HP is a lot, if you want to break it just add sticky tires.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Fastbowtie said:
I was going to do the same until I heard about the weak pinon gear. You might consider passing and looking for a nova 8.5 GM Corporate or a 12 Bolt. 440 HP is a lot, if you want to break it just add sticky tires.
I agree... an 8.2...nooooo
8.5 is ok but for the HP i would go with a 12 bolt with C clip eliminators.

·
19,749 Posts
I feel that any (car or truck) rear no matter how it's built will break at some point if driven w/o common sense.

Eric was running low 11's on an 8.2 and with sticky tires (forget for how long).
And a lot of others out there are running it too... I built mine (first complete rebuild) with BGH (Freddie) helping through e-mail... results below.

·
Registered
64 Posts
You'd be really surprised to see how much a well set up 8.2 will take, even behind a healthy small block.

The deciding factor is the transmission. They WON'T live with a stick car using sticky tires and banzai starts, but they WILL live well into the 11 second range with slicks as long as it's behind an automatic without a transbrake.

Just throw the 3.36 geared 8.2 posi rear into the car and get out there and enjoy your car.

ANYTHING is more enjoyable than a peg-leg rear. Spring's coming so quit agonizing, get it done, and go have some fun!

Randy

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I Think I Am Going To Give It A Try, I Found One For $ 350.00

10 Bolt With A Eaton 8.2 3.36 Gear'ed Posi . I Am Eventualy Going To Go A Big Block !!! Thats When I Will Go 9 Inch . I Wil Let You All Know How It Goes , Thanks Jaker110

1 - 9 of 9 Posts