Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning

I recently picked up a 69 SS X22 car thats been restored and does NOT have original block, it has a 3999829 454 block with 781 heads, now a 427. So, after researching I realize that determining if this is a true X22 car will be difficult or as they say, impossible. However, I have looked up the VIN via the production date and it is in sequence with the date on the trim tag. Problem here, trim tag has definitely been removed in the restoration process as I have photos from the rotisserie process and media blasting. Im NOT looking for anyone to tell me something I already know can't be said but I would like to know if the trim tag is legit AND if an assumption can be made that its possibly a true X22 car.

VIN 124379N686276

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No problem, you're doing exceptionally well so far....Yes, the trans & rear may help immensely. 1967-69 Camaro Drivetrain Decoding (camaros.org)

As said, I feel the cowl tag is genuine, however one has to wonder why it was removed. Hopefully it wasn't a full blown "rebody". Thus the hidden VIN's need to be checked.
It appears from the pictures of the restoration that they media blasted the entire car.

I have to adjust the clutch as I can't get it right. I keep getting 3rd and 4th grind when it gets warm. I either have clutch adjustment issue, wrong fluid or maybe the trans was never gone through. So, Ill be under there this weekend so Ill gather the numbers on the rear end and transmission.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, the good news is the tag ghost (blasting pic) matches the large size of a post X tag. Also in the blasting pic it appears to be a proper Muncie Speedo hole and clutch boot screw holes too.
Its incredible the knowledge on here. Thank you. Recognizing screw holes! Was just down there too replacing the torn boot.

Ill get the numbers on the axle and trans this weekend.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nope, that's my car. Your car's twin. GM Tech Center car with the original hood.
Awesome. That hood is perfect. Not the biggest fan of the fake vents on mine but very low on the priority list.

Thank you for everyone's input. If I can get out of work at a decent time today/tomorrow Ill get the numbers off the drivetrain. I know the rear axle was restored based on the pictures so hopefully the numbers are still legible.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ha, just saw this. Add me to the 69/dover white/hockey stick/black vinyl roof club

1 - 13 of 13 Posts