Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The threads on my 69 steering column, for the steering wheel retaining nut are messed up beyond repair.

I am installing a quick release steering wheel hub and have no threads for the nut.

Option 1 is to just weld the hub adapter to the original shaft.

Option 2 is to get a new upper shaft.

How hard is it to install a new upper shaft?

Thank you

·
14,699 Posts
Fixed or tilt column?

·
14,699 Posts
I ask because the degree of difficulty in replacing the part is harder with a tilt.

I would try to thread the existing shaft to the next smaller nut size.

Also if non tilt it might be easier and not expensive to get another column. If not tilt you may want consider upgrading to a tilt.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is a track only car, so no tilt is needed.

I have thought about locating a used steering column, but the way things are looking, it may just be easier to remove the column and weld the hub adapter to the shaft.

Thanks

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bruce, you close to NJ?
I'm in central PA, and it takes us like 3 hours to get to a relatives house in upper NJ.

my original 69 fixed column im not using. i can pull the shaft its not hard to do and if its good i will send it to you
I never worked on a steering column, except for pulling one out.
When you say it's not hard to do, what is involved (special tools, seals, etc...) in doing this job?

I prefer not having to weld this adapter on, just in case it ever needs to come apart, but I will if needed.

Thanks guys.

·
11,453 Posts
I'm in central PA, and it takes us like 3 hours to get to a relatives house in upper NJ.

When you say it's not hard to do, what is involved (special tools, seals, etc...) in doing this job?

I prefer not having to weld this adapter on, just in case it ever needs to come apart, but I will if needed.

Thanks guys.
3 hours is a bit far. I have a column all apart that might be able to help you. The part with the threads is a 2 part collapsible shaft. I do not think you can just replace the upper part of the shaft, probably have to replace the whole shaft. But to do that you are basically taking it completely apart and putting it back together (like a rebuild). Its not hard to do, only a couple hours if you know what you are doing (but could take many days if you have never done it and want to paint and make it pretty! :)) . There are bearings (upper, lower) that you should clean and repack (like front wheel bearings). Other then that it is all just making sure the parts go back together in the right order.

Jim Shea's steering pages should help. It has diagrams and repair guides Jim Shea?s Steering Papers » Chevrolet A, B & F-Car 1969-1976 Std Columns

·
Premium Member
3,256 Posts
Hey bruce here is the shaft from my column

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts