Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put a new console with gauges in my 69. I put a factory OEM tach in to replace the old Sun tach. I hooked everything up per instructions, but the tach doesn't work. I checked the 3 wires that go to the tach and all of the wires are good. The signal wire goes to the - side of the coil (I checked the continuity, and it is good). The power wire is getting power and the ground wire is a good ground. I am running an Accel super coil with an Accel distributer and an Accel energy intensifier box. The sun tach worked fine but the factory tach just jumps a little at start up, but then does nothing. Any ideas? Thanks:confused:

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
Are you using the same power wire that was going to the Sun tach now on the OEM tach? If not, I would check and see if you have constant power to the tach once the car is started just to make sure it's not dropping out once started.
Also, if this is a factory GM tach, I didn't think you were supposed to use HEI on them. I know you can use the aftermarket factory style tach without issues.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Where are you getting RPM signal and how many volts is it? Hopefully you havnt fried your new tach from the get go. The OEM only can take about 9v volts not the 12v that aftermarket tachs use. Are you running a tach filter? Check Jims electrical sticky about tachs ni the electrical section. He shows you how to make one for about $1.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:)OK, I solved the problem. I have an Accel Distibutor with and Accel ignition box. I installed an OER tach into my 69, and hooked it to the neg side of the coil as per instructions. It didn't work, and I thought that I would need a tach adapter...........that's not the case. I took the brown wire that was supposed to go to the neg side of the coil and ran it to the "hall trigger" terminal on the ignition box. The tach works like a champ..very smooth and correct. Hope this helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts