Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I am just going to replace the tail panel on my 69 vert instead of trying to repair all of the damage. (I'll try to post pics later for your evaluation)

Does the tail panel come with the inner support that the tail light housings bolt to?

How is the fit of the repop tail panels these days?

Thanks

Bob

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
Yes, the inner structure does come with the panel. The repo tail panels are horrible, as far as I know. I bought one of the imports a few years ago and it was so bad I decided to not even put it on my car. I have heard that there are some being produced in country now that are much better, but I personally don't have any experience with these.

I plan to make a clock out of the $100 piece of junk tail panel I bought:) I was fortunate enough to find a NOS one at a reasonable price.

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
If the damage is on the lower part, as mine is, you can piece in that area using a repro part as the seam will be behind the bumper.

·
Registered
953 Posts
My car had only lower damage also (done by a moron who flat bedded it) like Rick said. A repop worked out fine on my car. I just cut it in half behind where the bumper mounts. I cut it between the upper and lower mount bolt holes. That way I could bolt up the bumper brackets to original upper piece and the new lower part make sure it was in the correct location. I think the top if the repro pieces is where most of the problems are so you should be fine with the lower part it that's all you need. I was converting to an RS so I cut the holes for ther reverse lights before I replaced the panel.

Heres how it turned out.

As you can see I filled in the seam between the quarter and the lower panel. But, my car is far from original so it didn't matter to me. You wouldn't have to do it that way of course.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Finally got a chance to shoot a couple of pics for you guys to evaluate. Most of the damage is on the drivers side on the upper portion where the tail light is. Take a look and tall me what you think and how you would go about fixing it.

Thanks

Bob

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
Yep, my first thought though was, 'What damage'?
And is it just me? My heart is still beating faster after scrolling down and seeing Marks car!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts