Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently read an article in the Worldwide Camaro club magazine about 69 tilt columns and how to verify it is a 69 or not. One of the things they said to look for was the direction of the word "Lock" on the column at the ignition key. They said on 69/70 models the word "Lock" runs lengthwise the same direction as the column. On 71 and newer, the word "Lock" runs in the direction of the circumference. While this appears to be true on my non-tilt column, I have not seen a tilt column recently that I know is original to verify. Could anybody that has an original tilt column on their 69 please check and let me know?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
The lettering on my '69's tilt is along the circumferance but I can't say that it is an original for sure...

------------------
Steve McCorry - Central Ohio Camaro Club
'69 Camaro RS/SS-350 - Daytona Yellow
'95 Camaro Z-28 - Sebring Silver
click here to see my webpage ---> www.mindspring.com/~mccorry (updated 3/10/01)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Steve. Appreciate your quick response. A guy locally here in Portland has rebuilt GM columns for a number of years and currently has over 300 in stock. He doesn't recall seeing a tilt column with the word "Lock" running length wise, so your column may be original, I'm not sure.
Thanks again for the reply.

Mike Nastari-Pacific Northwest Camaro Club
69 SS - Daytona Yellow

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Hey Mike,

My car does not have a tilt and I have been thinking of getting one. Who is this local guy? (to you, I am down in the vally) Could you email me the contact info? Thanks

------------------
Jeff
69 SSRS 396(roller 427
)
My Chevs

[This message has been edited by ace841 (edited 04-06-2001).]

·
11,631 Posts
Mike, I just received the new issue and they retracted the lengthwise statement. I too have a date coded 69 tilt column and the work LOCK is vertical and correct! Only the Non-tilt was lengthwise. Kevin

------------------
69' SS-350 ragtop, M20, 3.55 posi. Totally Disassembled & in boxes (I'm working on it!)
69' Hugger Orange Z-21 ragtop 327/PG, Driver

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kevin,

Thanks a bunch!!! That was the info I was looking for. Very much appreciate that. I was waiting for 1st Gen tech night (Tuesdays)at Worldwide Camaro in hopes of talking with Ian myself. Now I have to tell my guy who is getting me the column that he is not going crazy after all.

Thanks Again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.