Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am installing a th 400. It orginally had a th 350. What is the difference between the two crossmembers other then mounting length?

·
10,153 Posts
TH400 needs frame bolt holes that are closer spaced, early camaros are not drilled for them, later subframes have three holes, you use the rear hole for the TH400.

The trans mount tab is off the front of the tubular crossmember. A std crossmember would hit the trans pan.
GM still sells the TH400 crossmember, 3912573.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327 original owner. 69 Camaro Vintage Racer, 65 Lola T-70 Chev SB Can-Am Vintage Racer

·
Registered
288 Posts
The TH 350 member is flat and looks like two peaces of metal spot welded together. The 400 member is round tublar. I have the part # at the shop but not here. The new one don't cost but around $60.00 from G.M. Let me know if you need the part #.

Larry
www.lnjstreetrods.com

·
Gold Lifetime Member
10,505 Posts
Hey Larry/David,

Didn't only the big blocks come with a TH400? Wouldn't the trans mount pad be offset to the passenger side in that case? Is there enough room on the pad to re-drill the holes if a guy has a small block and wants to put in a TH400 (where the small block engine is centered in the car instead of being offset like a big block?

Jody

------------------
MY CAMARO

·
Registered
6,003 Posts
All Camaros (and other GM cars) had the drive train offset 1/2 inch from center. The centerline of the crankshaft, transmission main shaft and pinion are 1 inch closer to the passenger's side of the car.

------------------
'69 RS/SS396 pro street
427/4spd/9"
Byars Performance
High Performance Drive Train Parts And Service
www.lubedealer.com/biggearhead

1 - 6 of 6 Posts