Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.

I've been into first generation Camaro's for over 15 years, and one thing has always puzzled me. Out of all the shows I've been too, and all the books I've read, I have never seen a photo of the '69 two-tone color scheme (and I'm not talking about a vinyl top, either).

So, is there anyone out their who has seen one, or possibly own one?

Just curious.

Keith
'69 RS/SS 502

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
To my knowledge, what there is of it, there were no two toned 1st gens, other than stripes. I've been painting cars for many years and I have never seen one.

·
Registered
999 Posts
this two tone paint has puzzled me also. i have a book at home that states the paint codes for this, but i also have never seen one. i posted this same question months ago and some people think that the roof might be paint a different color to represent a vinyl top, but from the book i have, i believe differently. i would like to see one.
bruce

·
Registered
285 Posts
I've seen several of them. Most people don't like them, so when they repaint their car it gets painted a single color. My book say 5,909 were built so they are somewhat rare, just not sure how desireable they are.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
70 RS/Z28,

Where is the two-tone color break? I have seen one custom painted two-tone '69 that had the entire top surfaces a different color (hood, roof, and horizontal portion of fenders) and it looked OK. Was this what the factory scheme was like? The car I mention was red and black (top side was black). It was on the cover of Hot Rod a few years ago.

I just recieved another Camaro book for x-mas which mentioned the two-tone paint, which is what prompted me to post this subject.

Keith
'69 RS/SS 502

·
Registered
517 Posts
My first 69 Camaro that I bought brand new was a white over azure turq. The white was where the vinyl top would have been separated by a chrome strip. It was a 350, 255 HP with 4 speed. Pretty basic car but i loved it.

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
The two tone paint looked just like a vinyl roof except it was painted on instead of being vinyl. Think they used the chrome trim from a vinyl roof as the separator between the colors. There is definately a strip of chrome between the colors, just don't know if it is the same as a vinyl roof.

Heres a picture of one:
http://www.motorcities.com/contents/00B9H132008086.html

------------------
Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

·
Registered
3 Posts
yes it is like a vinal top car. i have one i parted out but still have the body. glacier blue with white topo. i've seen several this color. i also saw one orange with black top. and gold with white. all the ones i saw were base cars with style trim.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the pic Mark C, now at least I can say I have finally seen one.

Thanks everyone for the input.

Keith
'69 RS/SS 502

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
I did see one of those one time. Just thought that the vinyl top went south and some "poor" guy just sprayed it back in color.

Years ago when Vinyl tops were the rage you could get them texture spray painted on at your local body shop. They usually would even glue on the top chrome trim for more of the vinyl top look.

But, didn't know the Gen did it and called it a two-tone. pdq67

·
Registered
6,138 Posts
There were 6 two-tone color combos offered in 69 on the Camaro. 53/50, 55/50, 53/51, 51/53, 65/50, 61/63.
So far, we have 12 two tone cars in the database. 53/50 is the most common (Glacier Blue w/ white top). Only combo not yet seen is the 51/53. Only seen one 61/63 (Burnished Brown w/ Champagne), thankfully.

Also, the 2 tone trim is different from the vinyl trim. Give me a while and I might remember the reason why.......

Keith, we'd be interested in the #'s from that shell you have. http://www.camaros.org/researchdata.shtml is the easiest way, or you can email me at [email protected].

------------------
Kurt S.
www.camaros.org

1 - 12 of 12 Posts