Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to put the windshield back in the car. I heard about Eurethaning the wind in. Does anyone have experience with this? Good / Bad????? How hard is it to do? Or should I used the black (Butle sp???) stripping to put the windshild in? Thanks for any info you can pass on.

Matt

·
Super Moderator
32,431 Posts
I've had good luck with a 3M Window Kit.

------------------
Everett 68/350/PG/11.90/115mph

·
Registered
190 Posts
Please have it down by a professional and use urethane. This is done for a few reasons, number one is for your safety. In the unlikely event you should find yourself in an accident a windshield installed with buytl tape can and will fly out, thus allowing you to go out with it. I know none of us want to think this way, but I would prefer that you stay around to be a Camaro fan for along time. I got educated on this and feel I should pass it on. The second reason for this is that the butle will dry out and allow the seal to be brocken and thus allowing bad things to happen to your window areas,carpets and so on. Just my suggestion but I believe it to be a good one. Find a professional in your area that is knowledged in old cars and get their advice also.

·
Super Moderator
32,431 Posts
Everything needed to install a w/s. Butyl bead, 10 oz tube of sealer and two blocks for locating the w/s in place.

You also should get a can of paint cleaner, the liquid painters use to wipe down the paint just before painting a car to remove the dust. This will remove the sealer from the paint, believe me, you'll get it all over. Get some denatured alcohol to clean the glass. The cleaner both surfaces are, the better the stick and seal.

Tracy racy does have a good suggestion in having it professionally done, it will come with a guarantee to not leak, only if the frame is painted and no rust. They charge approx $60-75 here in VA.

Would also be a good time to replace those molding clips with new ones, use stainless screws on those nails broken off.

Good luck...

Everett

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have installed a new windshield and a new back glass in my 69. I used the 3m strips for both. I talked to a pro installer and he said they use the urethane for safety and because a lot of insurance companies require it if they are paying for it. He also said he uses the strip method on some restorations. I am building a car that will not be driven as an every day car, so I feel fine with using the strip method. I know accidents can happen anytime, so I say if you feel better with urethane, then thats what you should do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts